The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Tax Help Please!

Dave17

Well,

I'm abit ticked off with GM Honda, whom i bought the Supe from. Picked her up last tuesday and i was all smiles until i got home and noticed that there was no tax disc with the car (this had been promised to be sorted before i picked the car up).

Several phone calls later to the person that dealt with the sale and she says that it has been taxed and she will forward the disc on to me asap.

A week later and a call to the DVLA, they tell me that the car has been taxed and the disc was issued before i picked up the car.

New call to GM Honda yesterday asking what was being done about this, since the let me drive off the forecourt illegally and the car is just sitting in my garage unable to be used. I was told "the woman who deals with tax and your car is on holiday for a couple of weeks, there is nothing we can do, but i'll ask around and see if we have got it". The phone call i was expecting never comes.

This is my problem, I am not willing to use the car without tax and take a hefty fine, and GM Honda have made it pretty clear they arent going to do anything for 2 weeks. From what i've read I believe that they are failing under the sale of goods act for misrepresenting the car - being taxed when it has no disc and then selling it to me despite being told it would be done.

What do I do?

Trading standards?

Demand my money back and have them transport it back

Demand my expenses back as well since i put £72 worth of petrol in her to get home.

Any ideas where i stand guys?

Cheers in advance

DVLA - I have lost my tax disc before. the DVLA can issue a new tax disc pretty quick with a small payment (cant remember how much). While your waiting you get get the DVLA to send you a headed email.

You can print this and if the police etc try sticking you on you can show them the headed letter.

Ok say you park your can on the road, if your not present with the car the police cant give you the £60.00 fine all they can do if inform the DVLA which they would do. However the police would still leave a notice slip on your car (This isnt a fine). However the DVLA would see you have been enquiring about the tax disc and you have road tax so nothing would happen.

Worst case situation, if the police did pull you over, if it was in the day they could phone the DVLA and check you had road tax. If it was at night and they didnt beleive the letter you had (which is unlikely) and they did give a fine you can contest that fine with the DVLA and under those circumstances that is a defence in law so the fine wouldnt uphold.

Any further questions regarding this just message me mate

Ah cheers matey, so it looks like i can drive her then, as long as i get the letter. :)

But you can still get clamped (or ticketed by those lovely TWs) if you park on public roads.

Cost to release clamp = £200 because there's no tax disc displayed, plus you would only get a £120 refund back by taking a valid tax disc to a certain office usually in a city.