The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota 2000GT

hogmaw

There always seems to be one attends the goodwood fesival of speed. I don't even think they sold them here. Found one for sale maybe a year ago, thet wanted about £40 IIRC. Not far off e-type territory (And IMHO it's better looking than the e-type coupe)

EVERY Day is a School Day, think Mighuel sold one to a guy in the UK and there is an MR2 for sale in Ireland but with TRD2000GT kit, dont think its official http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/MR2/TRD-2000gt/978574/

SW20 TRD2000GT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR2#SW20_TRD2000GT)

In 1998, Toyota Racing Development [2] offered an official kit body conversion and tuning program for MR2 owners to transform their existing SW20 MR2 into a widebody TRD2000GT kit replica car. This was to pay homage to the wins by their TRD2000GTs in the GT-C Japanese racing series, the TRD2000GT racing series cars were based on the SW20 floorpan. Toyota also did the same with their Supra Twin Turbo model, offering a conversion service to transform these cars into a TRD3000GT[3].

In order to ensure exclusivity, a high price tag was charged and total of just 35 factory car conversions were completed by Toyota Technocraft Ltd. Each official Technocraft car converted was made using lightweight fibreglass components (in place of heavy steel original parts: front fenders, trunk lid extension, rear quarter panels, gas door, front and rear bumpers, 3-piece wing) and re-classified as completely new cars (with their own specially numbered TRD vin plate riveted to the body to indicate their authenticity and rarity).

The Toyota Technocraft Ltd. TRD2000GT had a 60 mm (2.4 in) wider front and rear track (due to the addition of wider wheels and tires) which improved handling considerably over the original equipment. Virtually every car converted also had other TRD parts fitted too including extensive changes to both the suspension and engine. Most cars left the factory making more power due to TRD bolt-ons, some cars even left the factory boasting up to 500 PS (493 hp/368 kW) and less than 1100 kg (2425 lb) for a very impressive power to weight ratio. While TRD Japan only offered a small number of kits with all body parts required for third-party conversion, Toyota Technocraft Ltd. offered complete car conversions.

Only 3 complete Toyota Technocraft Ltd. cars are known to have been shipped into Europe with only 10 complete cars allocated to TRD USA for the entire American market. This makes these officially built Toyota Technocraft Ltd. TRD2000GTs the rarest of all MR2s and ultimately the most sought after and difficult to find. It is unknown how many original Toyota Technocraft Ltd.(non factory replica) cars still exist today, but it is known that a small number of conversion kits were imported from TRD Japan into the US for USDM Conversions. In many respects the extended body can be compared to that of a Porsche Turbo widebody. The car track width is extended and body dimensions dramatically changing the cars overall visuals, giving the car a "supercar" look, and also better handling and weight reduction. Very little is known about these cars outside of Japan.[4]

EVERY Day is a School Day, think Mighuel sold one to a guy in the UK and there is an MR2 for sale in Ireland but with TRD2000GT kit, dont think its official http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/MR2/TRD-2000gt/978574/

SW20 TRD2000GT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_MR2#SW20_TRD2000GT) blah blah blah blah blah

I think he may have been referring to a 2000GT as opposed to a TRD2000GT?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian W

I think he may have been referring to a 2000GT as opposed to a TRD2000GT?

Yep, I reckon the title was a bit of a give-away eh?

ohhh! look at me! I'm making people happy. I'm the magicial man from happyland. From a gumdrop house on lollypop laaane! By the way, I am being sarcastic

Think i would rather have an E-type. That thing is butt ugly

Part of its charm I think. Cars had much more character in those days, these days every car looks like its out of the same box IMO.

I'd like to see one in the flesh so I can see how the lines have continued from the old car to the new, I think there are similarities around the rear wheel arches and roof, but despite the info on wikepedia it doesn't appear that any supra owners have one as a second car?

I've never thought I liked E-Types. The father in law is E-type mad and has a good history of racing them (http://www.fastjags.org.uk/start.htm ) but I know I like the Toyota 2000GT, Alfa TZ2 and Ferrari whatsit (Dino ?), so I definitely love that style of car and especially the flat and sloped rear on them. I'm still not sure if the E-Type is really the same style as those other cars though, might have to have another look.