The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Possible car swap next week - I need techy help please?

Sparky

Well As im moving away im looking for something smaller (not too small though) to replace the supra. Ive been looking at Celica gt4's - I would love to do the TT conversion and keep mine i just wont have the 2k when i get a flat :( The celica seems like a nice compromise.

My question is everythings fine with the car except for a clunk when i push down my clutch pedal. The biting point is fine, gears change absolutely fine and the all fluids are topped up.

So any other SZ-R owners with 6 spd boxes got this issue?

I remember some people saying its 'just an annoying clunk', and others mentioning the flywheel causes the noise.

Ive had 2 people drive the car (1 a mechanic) and theyve both heard it at some point and told me not to worry 'its just a noise'... grr so helpfull!

Although my car only makes this clunk every so often and usually the slower im going (usually pulling away speed when i go into second gear) i dont want to swap the car knowing this could lead to bigger issues.. basically im being very honest.

The celica owner has read my posts on here so he knows what ive posted including my last thread about my clutch so he knows everything i know really.

Can anyone help me please?

Thats true and ive seems hundreds of thread on how clunky it is... but should it clunk when the clutch pedal goes down?

Dwayne if your reading this you have a 6 speed don't you? Can I come see yours someday if you do?

I think its paranoia kicking in tbh! I would of thought if something was wrong then there would be a connecting problem like gears not engaging or clutch slippage wehich i dont get at all!

Weird!

Well As im moving away im looking for something smaller (not too small though) to replace the supra. Ive been looking at Celica gt4's - I would love to do the TT conversion and keep mine i just wont have the 2k when i get a flat :( The celica seems like a nice compromise.

My question is everythings fine with the car except for a clunk when i push down my clutch pedal. The biting point is fine, gears change absolutely fine and the all fluids are topped up.

So any other SZ-R owners with 6 spd boxes got this issue?

I remember some people saying its 'just an annoying clunk', and others mentioning the flywheel causes the noise.

Ive had 2 people drive the car (1 a mechanic) and theyve both heard it at some point and told me not to worry 'its just a noise'... grr so helpfull!

Although my car only makes this clunk every so often and usually the slower im going (usually pulling away speed when i go into second gear) i dont want to swap the car knowing this could lead to bigger issues.. basically im being very honest.

The celica owner has read my posts on here so he knows what ive posted including my last thread about my clutch so he knows everything i know really.

Can anyone help me please?

my mate has a lovely gt4 for sale. it is close to mint and a good price it is the st205 model 260hp in black with 18's turbo timer and cat 1, all standard atherwise.? if any interest let me know i can put you in touch with him.

my mate has a lovely gt4 for sale. it is close to mint and a good price it is the st205 model 260hp in black with 18's turbo timer and cat 1, all standard atherwise.? if any interest let me know i can put you in touch with him.

Cheers for the head up, im gonna see how this swap turns out. Dont suppose hes up for a trade? Its only the supras not selling too well atm.

Well its my "baby supra";)

As none of you guys would enter a supra in to my sprint series then I thought the only way was to get my own:p

If the deal goes to plan I will be joining up pretty sharpish and will badger you lot to bring a team to the sprint series:eyebrows:

Regards

Anyone else?

mine does this..................its been in the family for 5-6yrs and has always been like this..........

my observations:-

cold starting, the car will idle at approx 1500rpm and will not be as smooth at low speed manoeuvres and you will experience some transmission jerk/clunk.

with clutch up the car/gearbox will rattle to a stop when you turn the car off.

Rapidly bringing the clutch up to the bite point (don't make a habit of this btw!) will produce a clunk.......

mines on 90K miles and the original clutch/flywheel......

IMO worse case scenario is when the clutch finally gives up then all new bearings and flywheel will be required but it makes sense to do that stuff then anyway..............with only 220bhp running through it all its life i cannot see the box itself being a problem long term.

i can see you perhaps having an issue with buyers being put off, i wouldn't be but i have one and know what its like and how its very unlikely to be the start of something serious/expensive but i couldn't really argue with Joe bloggs off the street being cautious.

mine does this..................its been in the family for 5-6yrs and has always been like this..........

my observations:-

cold starting, the car will idle at approx 1500rpm and will not be as smooth at low speed manoeuvres and you will experience some transmission jerk/clunk.

with clutch up the car/gearbox will rattle to a stop when you turn the car off.

Rapidly bringing the clutch up to the bite point (don't make a habit of this btw!) will produce a clunk.......

mines on 90K miles and the original clutch/flywheel......

IMO worse case scenario is when the clutch finally gives up then all new bearings and flywheel will be required but it makes sense to do that stuff then anyway..............with only 220bhp running through it all its life i cannot see the box itself being a problem long term.

i can see you perhaps having an issue with buyers being put off, i wouldn't be but i have one and know what its like and how its very unlikely to be the start of something serious/expensive but i couldn't really argue with Joe bloggs off the street being cautious.

Lol you have just described exactly what ive noticed. I knew it was just the '6 spd' box way. Just making sure! woo hoo glad its ok!

the 6 speed gearbox is renound for being cluncky, i just bought a brand new one and its far from smooth:D

Hi gaz 1 just a quick question as you have a new gearbox...

does your gearbox rattle??

Because my getrag 6spd box was rebuilt recently and now rattles (chatters), it has settled down a bit but still rattles....:rolleyes:

I was told that it was the end float from the laygear cluster causing the problem????

Sorry for the hijack btw :)