The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bpu done , next stage?

wilkorangerover

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

will cams and ecu make a difference???????

If you currently have a piggy back and stock cams, than yes, it can make a significant difference to the drivability. Outright power won't be much more (10-20bhp), but so much more is possible with the full standalone.

Also consider WI, decent IC, brakes, suspension, etc...

Sorry, I assumed by the text you'd had hybrids fitted. From looking at the Whifbitz website, stage 3 is basic "bpu" with a copy FMIC.

Next step is brakes, suspension wheels, tyre's. If you want more power then you have to make the big choice between going the single route, or to push the stockers to the limit.

First of all, you need to make sure your tyres are in good nick. Then you need to search for a man on this site called Chris Wilson, beg him for forgiveness for fitting 19" wheels and ask him for one of his fast road suspension packages. You then need to make sure your brakes are in good shape (it's generally recommended you have the "UK" versions with uprated pads, 5.1 fluid and braided brake lines). Once you have done that and had some tuition you will be ready to exploit the Supra as Toyota intended. Anything beyond that is £00000...............

Whilst I agree with everyone that upgrading brakes/suspension etc. are worthy mods (and I agree too that he should be happy with BPU power and upgrade brakes etc. instead)... He's asking what the next step is for more power....

In answer to that question, the only logical answer IMO is to go single, and the many thousands of pounds that entails. Cams, Hybrids, etc. are not worth the money IMO... unless you really are seriously going to go single at some point in the future then cams, ECU etc. can be done in advance.

Whilst I agree with everyone that upgrading brakes/suspension etc. are worthy mods (and I agree too that he should be happy with BPU power and upgrade brakes etc. instead)... He's asking what the next step is for more power....

In answer to that question, the only logical answer IMO is to go single, and the many thousands of pounds that entails. Cams, Hybrids, etc. are not worth the money IMO... unless you really are seriously going to go single at some point in the future then cams, ECU etc. can be done in advance.

What power is a simple BPU like the one described?

So hybrids, cams and ecu taking the power to 450bhp+ is not worthwhile?

My car ran 450bhp on a bad map, speak with RyanG about how bad and how much was changed. It was never dyno'd after the changes, but my guess would be at least 10 - 15 bhp (at least) extra.

I do still believe that 500bhp is a reachable target with hybrids, pity I never completed the job :(

What power is a simple BPU like the one described?

So hybrids, cams and ecu taking the power to 450bhp+ is not worthwhile?

My car ran 450bhp on a bad map, speak with RyanG about how bad and how much was changed. It was never dyno'd after the changes, but my guess would be at least 10 - 15 bhp (at least) extra.

I do still believe that 500bhp is a reachable target with hybrids, pity I never completed the job :(

If you check the turbos that Michael is selling now, you'll see that >600 is achieveable for not a lot of money at the moment.

Had a quick look, but could not find anything.

I paid £320 for my hybrids (2nd hand) but still worth it IMO

...and how much for fitting? plus bigger injectors, fuel computer/ECU?

Yes it's a much better deal if you've only paid £320 second hand but if you're looking at £2k+ (probably more like £3k) for an extra 50BHP over BPU then no I don't believe it's worth it. Better to save up more and go single.

If you check the turbos that Michael is selling now, you'll see that >600 is achieveable for not a lot of money at the moment.

You still need more than just those turbo's, but yes I agree it's an excellent price and someone should buy those turbo's. ;)