The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RAF Marham experience

johnd-mkiv

Since buying the car I have spent hours prepping it ready for this day managed to get it mapped by ryanG two days before the event, it made 511bhp at 1.2 bar all was going well and looked good for the day untill setting off in the morn for the event when half hour into the drive the clutch started to slip :( It then become difficault to select gears as the clutch started to drag. got to the point where I was going to give up an head for home, I was gutted but after thinking about it and all the time spent on getting it ready, I though fook it im going. Took it easy and made it there. I desided I would let it stand for a while let the clutch cool down then take it on the track for a bit, took it on the track managed 3 laps before it started to slip but this made my day :) could not get the hang of drifting it though, my old one was effortless but this one fights it all the way, the small steering wheel has to go as thats not helping :)

After going out I wanted to go out in a few others. Mike B let me come out in his 600bhp supra running on racing slicks, could not believe how well set up the car is, great power and the handling was mental some corners I thought the back would break out but it just flew round them god knows how fast we were taking them :D he was picking off cars left, right and center, out cornering lotus elises, with nothing passing us, I loved it :) Had a burn up with michels supra on a straight aswell which was good fun.

After going out in that, Ryan G took me out in his kitcar, I loved every minute of it, so bloody quick and the handling on this was mental, very tempted to sell up and get one myself with a sensible runabout, got some great film of it im trying to upload at the mo.

It was coming up to the end of the day my car had sat there most of it I desided to take it out one last time :) my mate si who had come with my mate rob in his skyline asked it he could come out in it as he had never been in a supra before. After a couple of laps on the track I over done it on the main straight, lost the back end on the supra at around 80mph ended up spinning out of control but fortunatly there was no one in my way. Done a 180 spin an off we went again done a couple more laps then said to me mate ill do one last lap then head back to the pits. Coming down another straight on the track was doing around 140mph started to slow down when all of a sudden the brake pedal hit the floor :blink: I pumped the brake but nothing just kept hitting the floor at this point im doing around 90-100mph I was fast aproaching the corner with no chance of getting round it, all I could do was smash through the cones, then swerve the car and pull a hand brake turn. Come to a stop with no one hurt, got out the car to find aload of brake fluid over one of the front wheels, limped it back to the pits and removed the wheel to find the banjo bolt loose on the caliper:blink: I cant work out why the car lost all braking as I take it the supras run a dual braking circuit?

Got all packed up just about to leave when I could hear the exhaust blowing under the bonnet, i thought the V band clamp had snapped, took a look under the bonnet to find this :(

going to take it into work tomorrow and weld it up, never seen this before though.

Overall had a great day got to meet a load more people and go out in some great cars, JamieP's car is mental sounded like an aeroplane hooning around, looked great fun. Pigs car had to be the loudest there :D the t5 volvo estates looked like they wernt hanging about. Gutted for Gaz dont know how you have not set fire to it :) or did you do it on purpose to get out of racing me :D

got some great pics and videos im trying to upload hope to have them up tonight if not they will be done tomorrow.

I now have the nice job of removing the gearbox and replacing the clutch again :( But ill be back ready for the next one ;)

Oh my god, it sounds like a helluva weekend for several of you guys, and an expensive one for you John :(

I think my heart would stop if my brakes failed down a straight!

Gaz.

It was a brown trouser moment :D

welded the housing up today going to inspect it tomorrow once its cooled to make sure its not cracked but seemed to take well, Its just changing the clutch im not looking forward too :( what a poxy job to do on the drive :)

It was a brown trouser moment :D

welded the housing up today going to inspect it tomorrow once its cooled to make sure its not cracked but seemed to take well, Its just changing the clutch im not looking forward too :( what a poxy job to do on the drive :)

did you hit the speedbump on the way out?

I know wes knocked his exhaust off, I wonder if michel's cracked v band and your turbo problem are related to the same thing.

Having knocked it once, I crept over it next time.. scraped it again... doh, then the next time I went as close to the edge as possible so the exhaust missed it..... :innocent:

I bet that just about rounded you weekend off wes, driving home with the exhaust out of the window.

Did they not let you guys out the 'short' way (left just after the 25mph limit on the way out?). A MP sent me that way as he said that I might catch something on the hump, didn't metion I'd already been that way once for petrol! UK suspension rules:d (although not round some of those Marham corners thats for sure).

I bet that just about rounded you weekend off wes, driving home with the exhaust out of the window.

The time I spent out on track more than made it ok, its no biggy.

As it turns out I have free RAC recovery included with my bank account which was handy ;)

I noticed the blowing noise just as I was pulling away from the pits to make my way home, I did not ground out on any speed humps on the way in though as this ones a little higher off the ground than my last, and I took the humps at an angle. looking at the origional welding on the casting its not got much meat to it