The mkiv Supra Owners Club

does anyone have advice for me about my exhaust system?

Guest Supra_dude1987

Guest Supra_dude1987

Hi there, I have a 1994 Toyota Supra N/A. I've been having problems with my exhaust system. I put a 3 inch pipe from the headers all the way to the exhaust, but i didn't get the right exhaust to go with the 3" pipe. The exhaust is 2.5 inch and we had to connect it with the 3 inch pipe. I was planning to buy a bigger exhaust but now i'm wondering if the pipe is to big for my N/A supra. Would you suggest a 2.5 inch pipe all the way to the exhaust?

please comment.

NA exhausts are usually around 2.5". You need a certain amount of back pressure on an NA to give good low down torque, if you fit a larger diameter exhaust you will reduce the back pressure and subsequently the torque at lower rpms. For the same reason NA pipes tend to have more silencing.

You need a certain amount of back pressure on an NA to give good low down torque, if you fit a larger diameter exhaust you will reduce the back pressure and subsequently the torque at lower rpms.

Not true, the exhaust back pressure thing is a myth (certainly with modern fuel controlled engines).

Not true, the exhaust back pressure thing is a myth (certainly with modern fuel controlled engines).

Yes, it's tuned wave length that counts, same as with the tuned and variable intake length on the N/A. pipe diameter alters the resonant frequency. 3 inch is overkill, save your money and ground clearance, even 2.5 inch is more than enough.

re exhaust size ~ i am with Nic on this, yes i have read the books but when i had my cat on recently for MOT the torque shifted dramatically down the rev range it was like driving a stock car again, i also had the same reverse experience when fitting a BL 4" from a superdragger it absolutely killed low down torque it was awefull and came off within a day and the dragger went back on, 3" on an NA is totall overkill, my car makes 500hp with a superdragger which everyone presume as being big pipework but in fact have a 2 1/2" section right where it joins the mid pipe

Guest Supra_dude1987

I asked a few people on the island about the 3" pipe and they didn't think it was a big problem if i connected a good muffler to it. They also said that I needed a resonator for the back pressure.

I'm still not sure what i'm going to do. If somebody has another opinion, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Guest Supra_dude1987

I asked a few people on the island about the 3" pipe and they didn't think it was a big problem if i connected a good muffler to it. They also said that I needed a resonator for the back pressure.

I'm still not sure what i'm going to do. If somebody has another opinion, please let me know. Thanks in advance.