The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting Dash

Silver Fox

Right,

Ive painted my dash silver. I havent done a bad job but there are parts which arnt perfect. Also what ive found is that the paint is really weak and chips way to easy.

Im going to redo my whole dash again, any suggesstions or tips for this time round?

Also anyone no of any paint that dosent chip away so easy?

I did a wet and dry rub down. Then put silver primer on it. Sanded down wet and dry again any marks thats left followed by a coat of halfords silver dash paint.

Finnally followed by Lacquer. I then left it 24 hours before i touched it to allow it all to harden and the paint chipped away and scratched very easy.

Just checking i have done all that coorect havent i? I havent missed anything?

Yes i did to the best of my ability. I speant ages sanding etc.

It just seemed if i was to catch the dash with a nail or my keys it would scratch immediately and/or chip away

Ive obviously done something wrong somewhere im juts trying to establish what

Guest CoolsBlue

i used halfords primer (standard grey stuff) 2-3 coats, followed by 3-4 coats of silver and about 3-4 light coats and 2-3 heavier coats of clear, and its been ok

thats very strange.. my plastic bit around gear stick (autobox) is broken and im replaceing it so i practised on that.. i didnt prime just cleaned and sprayed give it a few coats and its not prefect but it aint chipped? hhm not to self dont use halfrauds paint.

thats very strange.. my plastic bit around gear stick (autobox) is broken and im replaceing it so i practised on that.. i didnt prime just cleaned and sprayed give it a few coats and its not prefect but it aint chipped? hhm not to self dont use halfrauds paint.

Halford stuff worked perfect for me. Though I did rush the job a bit and one of these days I am going to strip it back out and do PROPERLY over a week or so.

Cracking and chips does not sound right though...

realy prep with wet and dry give it a real good scrub then put a light coat of plastic primer on when it drys give it a gentle wet and dry (not to much as you dont want big scores into it) then another coat of plastic primer then an even lighter wet and dry sand and i mean just enough to roughen it up, then apply the paint smoothly in big movements holding the spray a good 12" of the panel once one coat is on leave to dry then keep applying until you see that all the area is covered and nice and smooth, once dryed a couple of coats of lagour (spelling) and the job is finished

remember take your time doing it all as if you start rushing ull end up with a half assed job :)

I think i can see where i was going wrong now. I dont think i have applied enough coats. I only did one coat of primer and one coat of paint followed by one coat of laquor. Ill re do it spending a bit more time and a few more coats of each and fingers crossed this time it should work out better.

Thanks to everyone for there input

Hi ya ,why didnt you just use interior paint it sticks like shit to a blanket its a little bit dearer than normal paint from halfords but it is designed for plastics ,when you sanded your bits down did you clean it after with degreaser if so you should have been able to see the parts you missed for they would not look flat in colour they would look shinny ,

Hi ya ,why didnt you just use interior paint it sticks like shit to a blanket its a little bit dearer than normal paint from halfords but it is designed for plastics ,when you sanded your bits down did you clean it after with degreaser if so you should have been able to see the parts you missed for they would not look flat in colour they would look shinny ,

No i didnt clean it with degreaser, thats the first i herd of that. Ill do that next time.

I may be being slow, can you just clarify what you mean by interior paint?

Interior paint is for most plastics you have in the car eg vinyl covered trim panels or plastic in lamens turms ,i use a company called BRADLEYS they are experts in trim paint and alloy wheel refurbs and any type of interior blemish you may have like fag burns or holes in your dash they can sell you the stuff to sort it .

I also do beleive that HALFRAUDS sell something quite similar but you would have to ask them .

If you need me to give you the number pm me and ill sort it .