The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats the chances? MOT no Cats.

kslb

the problem you have is that the car should fail if it hasnt got any cats regardless of the emission test...

If its passed its coz the MOT tester is overlooking the fact, and if caught wont be an MOT tester long

Why regardless of the emissions test? Surely if it passes the emissions its ok?

the problem you have is that the car should fail if it hasnt got any cats regardless of the emission test...

If its passed its coz the MOT tester is overlooking the fact, and if caught wont be an MOT tester long

There is no law that says a car must have a cat, only that it must pass an emissions test. In practice that usualy means a cat, but if you could get the right numbers on the test without one (unlikley) you would still pass.

There is no law that says a car must have a cat, only that it must pass an emissions test. In practice that usualy means a cat, but if you could get the right numbers on the test without one (unlikley) you would still pass.

Thats what i thought.

all UK car have a CAT fitted from mid 92 onwards. Import cars need to have a CAT fitted from 95 onwards. I had a chat with the local MOT chap. He passed my JSpec witout CAT's

"The catalyst test is part of the MOT test for most class IV spark ignition petrol engined passenger cars with four or more wheels first used on and after 1 August 1992" *

so, if you UK car is 1993 on, it automatically put though the catalyst test.

* Taken from MOT testers hand book

Ok, I am going to ask a real dumb question here but how do you know if you have cats on your Car or not as I wouldn't have the first idea how to check?

If you have your car on ramps or axlestands you can clearly see both. They look a bit like small silencer boxes on the exhaust but are nearer the front of the car than the silencers.

If you have your car on ramps or axlestands you can clearly see both. They look a bit like small silencer boxes on the exhaust but are nearer the front of the car than the silencers.

Well I will have try to and squeeze myself under somehow because I can't jack it up, my Jack won't fit under the body kit :D

all UK car have a CAT fitted from mid 92 onwards. Import cars need to have a CAT fitted from 95 onwards. I had a chat with the local MOT chap. He passed my JSpec witout CAT's

"The catalyst test is part of the MOT test for most class IV spark ignition petrol engined passenger cars with four or more wheels first used on and after 1 August 1992" *

so, if you UK car is 1993 on, it automatically put though the catalyst test.

* Taken from MOT testers hand book

If that's correct, then I shouldn't be panicking about my MOT on thursday then, but how many MOT testing stations have a book with imported Supra's in?

Mine failed at a local MOT place, but passed last year at another!

Its a 1993 J-spec TT.

I was told that an import supra is treated the same as a UK. Size of the imports plates must be the same as any UK car and the emissions were tested as if it was a UK Supra. Seems to vary right across the country about imports etc... what is the actual rule for them?

alot of MOT testers dont understand the rules for import cars, when I was in norfolk I tried to argue to point, but the tester wasnt interested. All he saw was a 1993 car which required to pass the catalyst emmisions test, couldnt care if import or not. Now I use a tester down in hampshire who deals alot in import cars. he did some research and found the exception for import's

You can get a copy of the ministy of transport mot testers guide at your local library...this is the same as a mot tester has to abide to.

I used to be a tester years ago and i would say you will need at least one cat on...the pre 92 thing is correct.

Not unless he sticks it up a pipe of another car...not that i have ever seen that;)

These days the MOT tester just types the registration into the computer which is linked directly to the DVLA and the computer tells him what emmisions figures the car needs in order to pass. As far as I know most mkiv's, weather imported or not, need to pass the post '93 reglations; ie. CAT test. There are ways in which a "friendly" tester can make the car pass but if you get a roadside check it's what is on the DVLA computer that counts. There is no such thing as an "exemption" for imports, they just took longer to update the DVLA computers with the correct details.