The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Standalone ECU tuners

and1c

Im slightly ahead of myself here as Ive decided to drop the 2jz motor Im building when its finished into a MK4 chassis that I dont have yet!. (tt with a blown engine or an NA conversion)

Im looking for proven good standalone tuners who can do a great tune.. (possibly a race fuel map and 100 *raptane)

Turbo will be GT 42R or bigger :eyebrows:

My current choices are

AEM

Motec

Autronic

Who do you recommend guys? and for which ECU :D

thanks

Will the injector drivers of an aem be up to the job of controlling fueling for such a huge turbo?

If its a daily drive I doubt it

For a tubby like that motec,autronic are good calls but there have been various ecu's put into different applications, I'd do a bit of research

Depending on the injectors (for a GT42 1000cc with a 20% safety margin min), I assume they will be peak and hold,

trying to keep a steady idle and lower rpm the circuitry will be under higher load trying to open and shut, because the ecu cant take advantage of the lower amperage on the hold as it needs to keep closing to prevent overflow from such large injectors due to the need for less fueling

Things will steady up midrange...maybe giving the circuitry time to cool...then high rpm and high load appears again because of the need for rapid open and closing, until such time as the injector can become saturated taking advantage of this lower amperage again

The aem's injector drivers have had several problems in the past, as I understand it, this is the same reason for the need for a DLI because the Aem's circuitry cant handle the increased load

This is the reason I got rid, maybe there QC has got better who knows but I'd rather protect my investment with that extra 600quid I spent and I have other plans for the motec too

The HKS DLI is connected to the igntion system not the injectors, the only reason it is required is that the AEM only uses 3 coil outputs therefore converting the ignition system from direct fire to wasted spark, hence half the dwell time.

As for an AEM being able to idle a motor running 1000cc or bigger injectors its fine, I have personally seen a motor with large injectors (dudes) idle perfectly on an AEM, I helped him set it up so Dimitri could map it ;)

As for an AEM being able to idle a motor running 1000cc or bigger injectors its fine, I have personally seen a motor with large injectors (dudes) idle perfectly on an AEM, I helped him set it up so Dimitri could map it ;)

We run RC 1600cc injectors on the Green with Envy car and that is fine also.

Gaz.

As for an AEM being able to idle a motor running 1000cc or bigger injectors its fine, I have personally seen a motor with large injectors (dudes) idle perfectly on an AEM, I helped him set it up so Dimitri could map it

Yeah I've seen various applications were Aem has Controlled crazy setups, maybe I was mis-informed, but the threads I seen over in SF put the sh*tters up me and I wasnt taking the chance

Also initially the aems were fine, it was only under mapping conditions(Not the Dan incidents;)) or spirited runs the injector drivers were failing(presumably the circuitry was overheating)

I wish SF would get their bloomin search function back so I could reference it, what ever the ecu if you choose a good mapper they should be able to point you in the direction of a good ecu, all ecu's have failed at one point or another, regardless of cost, but your mapper should be able to diagnose any problems with it hopefully before it damages your engine.