The mkiv Supra Owners Club

heater matrix

creative

Well this is a great start to ownership!! :(

Went to get my supe today. checked the car over etc etc all was fine.

Paid and driven the 250 odd miles home and in the last 10 miles the car starts to steam up and wont clear. Then I notice the water in the footwell.... my bl**dy heater matrix has gone!:mad:

Ive done a search and found jezz's guide on how to replace the matrix but are there any pictures showing the easiest way to bypass it for a week or two? as It is my daily driver I cant be running out of coolant! and if i can fix it tomoz I can sort it when I get a day off in a week or so.

cheers gents

yes you can. Just get a small pipe, i got 90 degree copper pipe bit from B&Q to connect them together (2 pipes over top of engine at the back). Some people believe they cause headgasket to go, but there is no actual evidence to back this up its just a theory at the moment.

are these 2 pipes the ones that connect with a little metal pipe between em?

If so its an easy job for the morning...... would it get me home ok approx 30 miles with the matrix leaking. I will top the coolant up before i go but I have to get home from work at 1 am tonight!

yes you can. Just get a small pipe, i got 90 degree copper pipe bit from B&Q to connect them together (2 pipes over top of engine at the back). Some people believe they cause headgasket to go, but there is no actual evidence to back this up its just a theory at the moment.

Why would bypassing the heater matrix cause your head gasket to go ?