The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cobra imola seat mounts

paul mac

IMI

Asked me for some pics of the pesky Cobra seat mounts that dont fit so i thought i would post it up for anyone doing this in the future, as well as the said mounts not fitting they also weigh a ton which really negates the whole point of the excercise as the seats themself are very light

pic 1 - shows the rear bracket that does not fit - i chopped it off then bolted the frame back in the car with the chopped off bracket bolted in as well, then tacked the bracket back on in the right position, take the frame out of the car and weld it up completely, a word on welding in the car, disconect the battery and get lots of tin sheet (scrap dealer) otherwise you will set fire to the car :(.

pic 2 - new ally side mounts from http://www.quantumcars.co.uk/ i paid about £80 for these but they look like they may have gone up in price, shop about, note also the drilled out frame support.

pic 3 - new seat selt mount came (as the stock one is integral with the seat) from the scrap yard, the male part was identicle to the supra the only problem was the release was the wrong side so i took it off and just swaped it round, cant remember what car it came off but it was defo something crappy like a hyundai.

pic 4 - shows chopped off cross pieces (bare metal front and rear) the cross bracing is done by the new ally plate

pic 5 - with all the mild steel i had removed i needed to lift the runner back up so the adjustment mechanism still works the red arrow shows 2 x 3mm ally spacer pieces, you need to do this at all 4 corners.

pic 6 - this is the front, green arrows show flush screws otherwise they foul the seat (the rears can be normal bolts) the red blodge is a chopped of cross piece and the red arrows show the spacers

last pic - complete, this lost about 4 kilos per seat from what cobra offered, with the complete seat/runner assy weighing a total of about 10kg (stock 24 kg drivers 18 kg passenger) a bit anal i know but when trying to make a fat arse supra lighter every kilo counts :D, if you need anything else IMI let me know

car 592.jpg

car 588.jpg

car 590.jpg

seat 001.jpg

seat 002.jpg

seat 004.jpg

seat 003.jpg

thats a great post Paul.

I am going to call Cobra tomorrow - will keep you posted.

thx

thats a good idea mate, if i had bought the mounts new i would have been as mad as a wasp but i bought them off a member on here who i presumed filed out the easy mount holes to get to and just left the rest. I should have added i only used four mount holes (as per stock) and deleted Cobras seat belt one (it was miles out anyway), few more pics with the seats back in, maybe worth noting i drilled an extra hole at the bottom of the 3 front mount holes to get the seat angle just right but this is personal choice

seat 005.jpg

seat 006.jpg

seat 007.jpg

Im looking at getting the Cobra Misano's. So safe to say I'll be spending the extra money on bride frames then:)

wise move mate, as the cobras are laughably bad, its as if someone "guestimated" the dimensions but never actually got round to a trial run of fitting it in the car, p**s poor how a company can operate selling garbage and stay in bussiness