The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speed limiter

Guest Wassie

Guest Wassie

Hi,

Due to my supra coming from New Zealand, toyota had a limiter installed on it. Now every time, and it was fine when I got it, as soon as I hit 5,000 rpm from 3rd to sixth the car cuts out. Toyota told me here they don't know how to fix the problem, because Supra is not a known car in South Africa.

In second the car goes to 6,500 rpm, but any other gear I must change before 5000 rpm or the engine cuts out. The light in the centre of the rev counter also used to come on and stay on, as did the engine management light, but now it comes on and when I go below 100 km/h it goes out again. What can I do to fix this?

Guest Wassie

I did, and it seems that the car boosts over 1 bar. I bought the car in Durban, and came down to Cape Town. All was fine until I got about 100 km from Cape Town and then at 5000 rpm it cuts out. It happens only in 3rd onwards. Does the turbos produce more boost in the higher gears? And biggest q of all, how do I fix it. I have an induction kit on.

Guest Wassie

By the way, that is another problem I have. The warning light comes on over 100 km/h due to the legislation in New Zealand. How can I remove or change the speed on the warning light?

I did, and it seems that the car boosts over 1 bar. I bought the car in Durban, and came down to Cape Town. All was fine until I got about 100 km from Cape Town and then at 5000 rpm it cuts out. It happens only in 3rd onwards. Does the turbos produce more boost in the higher gears? And biggest q of all, how do I fix it. I have an induction kit on.

Yes you will get slightly more boost in higher gears, as the engine is under more load.

I agree with Gav, it definitely sounds like fuel cut. Do you have a boost gauge fitted? If so what boost is it cutting out at? Do you have a boost/fuel cut controller fitted? If you're not sure, have a look underneath the panel in the passenger side footwell and see if there are any electronics spliced into the wiring loom coming from the ECU under there.

If you are boosting over 1bar, but still getting fuel cut then you may have a boost/fuel cut controller that has raised the cut limit rather than completely removed it eg. the GReddy BCC . These usually have an screw inside that lets you adjust the limit.

By the way, that is another problem I have. The warning light comes on over 100 km/h due to the legislation in New Zealand. How can I remove or change the speed on the warning light?

Does the car have or did it have an auto front spoiler fitted? These drop at around that speed. If there is a problem with it or the spoiler has been removed (eg. to fit a front mounted intercooler), the warning light will illuminate and the auto spoiler button flash. This can be disabled by either turning the auto spoiler off or removing the spoiler ECU which is located above the stereo.

hello what should the car feel like, im driving down road at around 2k and turbos whistling and i give the throttle a little poke and im pinned in seat and im off, this is the main pin of second turbo yes and there is no other serge, i have not driven the car over 80mph as yet

Is this related to this thread? I don't understand what you are asking.

Guest Wassie
Yes you will get slightly more boost in higher gears, as the engine is under more load.

I agree with Gav, it definitely sounds like fuel cut. Do you have a boost gauge fitted? If so what boost is it cutting out at? Do you have a boost/fuel cut controller fitted? If you're not sure, have a look underneath the panel in the passenger side footwell and see if there are any electronics spliced into the wiring loom coming from the ECU under there.

If you are boosting over 1bar, but still getting fuel cut then you may have a boost/fuel cut controller that has raised the cut limit rather than completely removed it eg. the GReddy BCC . These usually have an screw inside that lets you adjust the limit.

Hi Nic,

No I don't have a boost guage on it and the previous owner does not know if it has a boost controller fitted. I will have a look where you said and will come back to you in this. If it doesn't, I am thinking of actually putting one in. What boost can the car take? How can I reduce boost if this is the problem and I am reaching the peak? Sorry I am asking all these questions.

Guest Wassie
Does the car have or did it have an auto front spoiler fitted? These drop at around that speed. If there is a problem with it or the spoiler has been removed (eg. to fit a front mounted intercooler), the warning light will illuminate and the auto spoiler button flash. This can be disabled by either turning the auto spoiler off or removing the spoiler ECU which is located above the stereo.

The car does not have an auto spoiler on it. I was told that it is due to the fact that in New Zealand car manufaturers are forced to put mechanisms in place to ensure that people stay below the 100 km/h (60 mph) bracket. It doesn't cause any problems, the red light is just annoying at night.

Hi Nic,

No I don't have a boost guage on it and the previous owner does not know if it has a boost controller fitted. I will have a look where you said and will come back to you in this. If it doesn't, I am thinking of actually putting one in. What boost can the car take? How can I reduce boost if this is the problem and I am reaching the peak? Sorry I am asking all these questions.

Have a read here -> BPU

The car does not have an auto spoiler on it. I was told that it is due to the fact that in New Zealand car manufaturers are forced to put mechanisms in place to ensure that people stay below the 100 km/h (60 mph) bracket. It doesn't cause any problems, the red light is just annoying at night.

Does it have a button for an active spoiler under the stereo? Does it have a front mounted intercooler fitted?

If the light is coming on at the same speed each time, it is usually because the active spoiler has been removed.

Guest 38super

Somebody's telling you porkys! We Kiwis have enough trouble with speed limits but the only thing to stop you going as fast as you like is the chance of a speeding ticket! Maybe your car is a JDM car re-exported from NZ. There were no Supras manufactured in NZ. Your car should only have the JDM 180kph limiter so the warning light is due to something else. Maybe you need to check the error codes.

Guest Wassie

Thanks Nic an 38super,

After reading the BPU post, I think that I have a lot more work waiting for me than I realized. The car was imported from NZ about 4 years ago and since import has only done 20,000 Km. The car lived at the coast which mean there might be some rust on the intercooler, and I suspect the fuel pump needs upgrading too. My dilemma however is that I am battling to find someone that can do a diagnostic on the vehicle as they don't have the tools for it. There is only like 8 of these in the entire country and they were all imported.

I think until I have done a propper diagnostic on the vehicle I will get a propper understanding of what needs to be done. The seller did tell me that the car has a Stage 3 on it, but I don't know what that means at this point and what was done.