The mkiv Supra Owners Club

i live in Australia, want to buy supra in UK - need advice

Guest joop

hey all,

just after some advice on how to proceed in this purchase so both parties - me the buyer, and the seller - have piece of mind.

i'm currently living in Australia, but i'm a UK citizen and have a bank account there. i'm planning on having this supra checked out by the AA/RAC, and if all looks good, i'll buy it unsighted.

but how should the transaction take place? i can't have cash delivered to his house...

what i thought was if I had a bank cheque drawn up and mailed to a vehichle collection/storage service. i then pay them to go and collect the car, give the cheque, etc.

should this be acceptable to the buyer?

i would rather not bank wire the money to him, or post a cheque and wait for it to clear... because how am I to know i'll get the car???

any advice would be much appreciated.

cheers!

Gareth

Hi Gareth, you were messaging me about my aerotop in emails the other day!

I would have a friend go check it out for you as well as the RAC, or if it is going into storage until you are back from Aus, why not wait to buy one when you're here so you can view it yourself?!

hey SG,

sorry for losing interest in your supra - i found one i like more...

i have pretty specific requirements, so i'd rather get one bought before i arrive so that i have more options and it'll be ready and waiting when i get there :)

buying unsighted isn't a problem for me... i just need to think of a good way to get the seller the money that we're both happy with.

cheers.

Gareth

I don't know if Jurgen does this, but pay someone like him (a reputable importer) a nominal fee to handle the purchase (it'll be pennies in comparision to the price of the car), if I was buying a car in a foreign country I'd be happy doing it under those circumstances with someone with a good reputation on the forum

I don't know if Jurgen does this, but pay someone like him (a reputable importer) a nominal fee to handle the purchase (it'll be pennies in comparision to the price of the car), if I was buying a car in a foreign country I'd be happy doing it under those circumstances with someone with a good reputation on the forum

i was just typing the exact same thing! lol

:yeahthat: Very good advice there. It's well worth spending just a few extra £ to someone like Jurgen to manage the whole process for you.

Jurgen is very highly regarded here, after all his imports (here and elsewhere) I don't recall seeing a single complaint.

Wouldn't it be better/cheaper for you to buy from Japan? :search:

I think he want's the car for when he returns home to the UK :innocent:

As others have already said the first person I thought of when I read your post Joop was Jurgen, never heard a bad word said about him on or off the forum.

Leave the sunshine of Australia though :search: You must miss your fellow Poms :D

hey SG,

sorry for losing interest in your supra - i found one i like more...

i have pretty specific requirements, so i'd rather get one bought before i arrive so that i have more options and it'll be ready and waiting when i get there :)

buying unsighted isn't a problem for me... i just need to think of a good way to get the seller the money that we're both happy with.

cheers.

Gareth

Purely out of interest, what are these specific requirements?

basically a car that ticks all the boxes for me...

colour must be either black or grey...

must be aerotop...

must have no bodykit or subtle bodykit that I appreciate (no crazy veilside stuff)

preferably leather interior...

nice wheels...

prefer TT to NA...

basically a car that i don't have to change anything on, because i don't have the time for that right now... just want a car i'm happy as it comes, that looks clean, has lower mileage, etc :)

hope that helps! ;)

hi joop,

yes you can pay me and then we can pay the customer for the car (if the car is ok ) and we can collect it and bring it back to our unit..and carry out any extras if need be..servicing etc

we will charge you a fee and the travel costs to get car back here and we will inspect the car too so its a good one..

am in denmark till monday night but you can pm me or email me if need be.