The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra is going on a diet

jevansio

After removing the stereo from the Supra it's occured to me, why stop there. The car doesn't need to be practicle or luxurious, it'll go a hell of a lot better with less weight.

That stereo must have weighed loads, one sub weighed around 3-4 kgs, must have been 20kgs in the total setup.

So I'm following in the footsteps of the Wez / Gaz et al and stripping it out. I'll eventually make something to lay in the back that follows the contour of the shell which velcros/press studs in place. Aircon will be next to go, don't want to strip the interior totally, more like what you get in a Porsche GT2 style.

I've also decided to start doing things myself, so I started to fit the Do-Luck rear cross bar. It's not as easy as I thought (it bolts to the shell behind the carpet so that needed cutting), but I took my time & it's coming along nicely. Feels great to achieve something myself on the car instead of other people doing it.

Going to attempt to fit the ARBs tomorrow, already sprayed all nuts with WD earlier to ease getting them off.

Attached are a couple of pics of the car at the mo with the entire back stripped out, dash off & seats out.

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I told you all this modding stuff wasnt as hard as it sounds. keep up the good work dude.

Im not sure is I like the whole idea of stripping the car out though.

Hey John, you're giving me inspitation bud :D,

I know what you mean about totally stripping it out, I hopefully won't be going "that" far, but as I only drive the thing when I'm in crazy mode it doesn't need many of the mod cons an everyday vehicle would need

I like my comfort mate, and im a proper gadget man.

You'll be doing engine builds next.

You're not wrong there. Lol, I don't think I'll be going that far :D

its a great hobby this though, we get to spend loads to get the interior just how we want it:d then strip it out to go faster:blink: strange breed are we not:D

Everyone at work thinks I am insane, maybe I am, keeps me happy though :D

You're not wrong there. Lol, I don't think I'll be going that far :D

Everyone at work thinks I am insane, maybe I am, keeps me happy though :D

me too:D i was actually offered sponsership with a company we use:D but i think they wanted favours too:rolleyes:

Jay, I'm not sure if it helps but here's a quick list of the heavy items in the supra which can easily be removed or replaced with far lighter items

- spare wheel

- driver and passenger seat

- front speakers and platsic enclosures

- rear speakers and brakets

- rear seat back

- cabin carpet

- AC system (seriously heavy!)

- UK brakes

- washer bottle (doesn't need to hold a gallon of fluid in front of the wheel!)

- much of the wiring loom and stock amp - even the stereo wiring weighes a good few kilos

Jay, I'm not sure if it helps but here's a quick list of the heavy items in the supra which can easily be removed or replaced with far lighter items

- spare wheel

- driver and passenger seat

- front speakers and platsic enclosures

- rear speakers and brakets

- rear seat back

- cabin carpet

- AC system (seriously heavy!)

- UK brakes

- washer bottle (doesn't need to hold a gallon of fluid in front of the wheel!)

- much of the wiring loom and stock amp - even the stereo wiring weighes a good few kilos

Many thanks Darryl, goona work my way through the list :)

Ha ha your addicted now jay. keep stripping it and then just put it all back together again, that how i learnt dude.

It's just simple things like the holder passengers pull themselves out with on the A-Pillar, it's not until you need to get into the A-Pillar you need to figure out how to remove it, but now I know :)

Cheers :D

I've just finished fitting it :D. In true novice style I fitted both halfs of the bar only to realise the centre rod which attaches they wouldn't fit in situ, so I had to remove it all & do it again :), didn't help that I was working outside with the wind rain & snow to contend with.

Looks like the snow is going to scupper the plans of fitting the ARBs tomorrow though :(

the centre rod which attaches they wouldn't fit in situ, so I had to remove it all & do it again

That's where the real learning comes from - realising that you need to strip your hard work for one small thing;)

Sounds like a great project though:cool: