The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fibre Glass bonnet question...

Jim_1979

I'm coming back to the world of Supra ownership!!

I'm going to view a Supra at the weekend (member on here) with the view to driving it home (200miles).

Only problem is I am also buying a chargespeed bonnet from the chap.

The bonnet is currently not fitted. If fitting it with the pins somehow isn't happening as it should, is it possible to somehow secure it down from the inside??

I was thinking of tying string/rope around the catches and somehow tying it to something underneath to help keep it down.

Does it sound possible?? Any ideas?

Anyone near hull on Saturday that can come help fit it??

Cheers chaps!!

Nothing at all.

It currently has a stock bonnet. But the guy selling the car also has a painted chargespeed bonnet ready to go on. So I'm buying that too.

It would just be alot easier to get the bonnet on the car to drive home rather than figure something else out.

It could be fitted without anything, but I would have to drive home very slowly!

Just tried a search on here but cant find the thread. Im sure there was one explaining some alterations are required. I dont think anything major. If I find it I'll add the link. Worth doing though, i like the charge speed bonnet.:)

Here we go mate - I am the Chargespeed bonnet expert as I was the one that experienced all of the bloody problems of fitting it - what a nightmare!!

I have one mate. Check out this thread:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthr...ht=chargespeed

The Chargespeed is not just a buy-and-fit jobbie like most others and it does require a good bit of work.

Also, you 'will have to remove all of your bonnet latching mechanism and apply good quality bonnet pins to get it to fit (and to add the safety factor too).

Don't be put off by it though as its worth every penny.

It depends where you go but I would budget between £800 and £900 for the whole job.

1. Bonnet is £450 delivered but i got it for £395 (not sure if that can be done anymore) - From Trojan Sport in Essex

2. Aeroctach Pins were £42(ish) delivered but you need to have someone who really knows how to fit these correctly They look nice in the packet and bloody great on the car but the in between bit is not easy!

3. Bonnet alignment and paint (not as cheap as others due to its 9 meshed vents) was £200

4. Labour for bonnet catches, (grinding, cutting, building supports and difficult alignment job was £140

I'm over at Twisted Vision today so I'll get better shots I hope (there are some unfinished pics in my garage already)

Hope this helps mucka

Yeah Andrew, I saw that thread.

I'm gonna see how it fits without the pins. Am I right in thinking you fitted it without pins initially? Hence the "crude" bolts you mentioned for the bumper.

Any ideas of how I could secure it to get it 200miles home? I was also thinking of some way to tie it down from the inside? (as well as using the standard catches)

I also wouldn't trust a courier with a bonnet as it's already painted etc, just waiting to go on.

Yeah Andrew, I saw that thread.

I'm gonna see how it fits without the pins. Am I right in thinking you fitted it without pins initially? Hence the "crude" bolts you mentioned for the bumper.

Any ideas of how I could secure it to get it 200miles home? I was also thinking of some way to tie it down from the inside? (as well as using the standard catches)

I also wouldn't trust a courier with a bonnet as it's already painted etc, just waiting to go on.

I hope the PM's have been useful Jim.

Safe driving;)

Yeah mate... defo helpfull thanks.

Gonna fit it, use the nuts to raise the bumper and gonna use very wide masking tape to seal off the gaps to try to stop as much as possible from getting under the front of it.

I'll post pics when I get home. lol