The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Argh Tyres down to wire!

Firestorm

doing some checks last nite i noticed that my front tyres on the inside were worn away right down to the wire! thats not good! so im thinking i may need to have i tracked cos it shouldnt wearing away on the inside - and the outside to look in really good nick! anyone else had this problem?

whats the best tyre to go for on the fronts.

i got 225/40ZR 18 88W on the fronts at the mo.

Ps. Back tyres are fine! :D

I have the same wheels, 8s on the front and 9s on the back. I have 235/40/18s on the front and 255/35/18s on the back. Oh and did I mention I had two Goodyear F1s in size 235/40/18s for sale, a snip at £180 the pair :)

Was that a plug.. i think it was.

the roads around Cheltenham are just shoddy!!i have really notices that much in steering.. apart from the obviours tramlining you get with 18s... i think im gonna have to go the tyre place a bite the bullet get some more.. worth getting the same as before ?

Was that a plug.. i think it was.

the roads around Cheltenham are just shoddy!!i have really notices that much in steering.. apart from the obviours tramlining you get with 18s... i think im gonna have to go the tyre place a bite the bullet get some more.. worth getting the same as before ?

Its all the Horses mate :nana: ;)

Its all the Horses mate :nana: ;)

LOL horses! you town folk dont understand our horse and carriage ways LOL

got the car in jan dude... im still getting up to speed.. tyres were tottaly 100% fine when i got the car.

and as you can appreciate, i wasnt expecting the tyres to wear that quickly..

Um yeah, that! I check my tyres everyday pretty much.

thats nice..

okay well tbh i wasnt really looking for people to tell me how bad i am at owning a supra..i do beleive i also asked what is a prefered tyre .. and if anyone else has experience that? has anyone used Black circles.

Did you pump the tyres up / check the pressures at any time? They seemed ridiculously flat at the barn owl meet, so much so I even took a picture. Could be the reason for the odd wear & tramlining.. (Guilty of doing it myself, mine tramlined like a dog for the first month - bought myself a decent pressure gauge and it solved most of the evils).

Did you pump the tyres up / check the pressures at any time? They seemed ridiculously flat at the barn owl meet, so much so I even took a picture. Could be the reason for the odd wear & tramlining.. (Guilty of doing it myself, mine tramlined like a dog for the first month - bought myself a decent pressure gauge and it solved most of the evils).

Guilty as charged i think on that one... i did not.. although i was gonna lol! the funny thing being is that they felt okay driving, and it was liturally only the barn owl meet that i noticed they looked flat.. well not exactly flat but lacking air for sure. before they looked fine...think il have to do what you did alex and get a pressure gauage.

Black circles- Dunlop SP Sport tyres (special offer) £107 per pair including fitting and balancing for 225/40/18

ps alex the other one didnt look like that.

think il have to do what you did alex and get a pressure gauage.

Personally I would not buy one, had 2 in the past and they are useless (unless someone can recommend a good make).

Save your money and just check it at a petrol station, personally I check my tyres every 1-2 weeks without fail.

Supras by default eat the inner edge, check often - What more can we say :)

I run my fronts at 34 to 36psi, after a few tests early on in my ownership, and somehow that makes the fronts wear much more evenly, don't know why. Probably doesn't give the best front end grip by a few %age points but it means they last near twice as long.

-Ian

Supras by default eat the inner edge, check often - What more can we say :)

I run my fronts at 34 to 36psi, after a few tests early on in my ownership, and somehow that makes the fronts wear much more evenly, don't know why. Probably doesn't give the best front end grip by a few %age points but it means they last near twice as long.

-Ian

thanks ian, didnt know that- so that uber help! :D - its a wierd transformation i guess as u said they tend where quicker on the innner edge and its all a learning curve for me.. (possibly why i asked u chaps here) so thanks for info dude! il get on it.

Personally I would not buy one, had 2 in the past and they are useless (unless someone can recommend a good make).

Save your money and just check it at a petrol station, personally I check my tyres every 1-2 weeks without fail.

I use a Michelin Digital Tyre Gauge, paid through the nose to get it at Halfords. It's guaranteed to be accurate to +/- 1psi below 50 psi and it's given me very consistent readings :p. Going to the garage is all well and good, but when you've got more than one car it's a bit of a pain!

-- When I checked mine I had 24psi on the fronts, 22psi on right rear and 36 on left rear :blink: - 34psi all around now and the difference is huge!

As you bought the car recently, I'd still get the geometry checked, TBH.

If it's been lowered at any point and the geometry left untouched, that will increase the camber so that it wears out the inside edge. No point putting new tyres on and wearing them out in another 3 or 4 months.

thats nice..

okay well tbh i wasnt really looking for people to tell me how bad i am at owning a supra..i do beleive i also asked what is a prefered tyre .. and if anyone else has experience that? has anyone used Black circles.

I'm sorry but I wasn't telling you how bad you are at owning a Supra, just making the comment that if you let your tyres get down to the wire then you've been neglecting them. Simple.

I've used black circles and they are good. So are mytyres.co.uk

I like to use Goodyear Eagle F1s on the road but I reckon if you don't even look at your tyres i'm not sure you'll notice the difference these make compared to the premium you pay. IMO. Toyos might be a better option.

well if didnt check my tyres.. (which i do - but not reguarlary enuff it would seem) i will do now..

i think soop your rite on the money. it was lowered when i got it so i think a Geo test is great idea.

I think lowered is an understatement, how about raised slightly from the ground? :D