The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Coasting?

Guest DrifterWanaB

Guest DrifterWanaB

Hello All.

This being my first auto iam not sure on the do's and donts

Say your going down the road and say you can see the traffic lights in the distance have just gone on red, can you knock it into N and just coast up to the lights? as leaving it in drive your breaking but also fighting the drive of the engine a bit too?

I think i read some where that coasting a Auto is bad and fooks the box?

Guest DrifterWanaB

kewl, cheers guys

ok, in the above situ which would be better on mpg leaving it in drive and breaking, or knocking it to 2 and using engine breaking?

Do the supras still use fuel when off throttle and engine breaking or do the injectors shut tottally?

Leave it in D, never ever coast in neutral, otherwise you'll be looking for a box fairly quickly. In traffic use your brake or handbrake when at a standstill, don't keep moving it into N and then back into D, again this will shorten the life of the box. It's designed to be held on the brake and brakes are far cheaper than autoboxes.

Guide to the autobox can be found here.

Guest DrifterWanaB

Kewl cheers! i thought i was doing the box favours knocking it N when stopped at traffic lights for long! how wrong lol!

All good stuff, cheers folks!

Unless the engine is off, its using petrol.

Is that right? I know that most, if not all, modern cars are designed so that if the engine doesn't need fuel it doesn't get fuel so leaving it in gear and allowing the forward motion to take the car to the lights instead of engine power uses 0 fuel.

I know that was the case with my 2 vectra's as they had trip computers but i thought the supra's would be similar as they were very high tech for their age.

If the last couple of hundered yards aren't free they are certainly cheap lol.

Scott =op