The mkiv Supra Owners Club

dare N/a and TT engine differences

hodge

Am I correct in thinking that a bare N/A and TT engine are the same. By bare i mean nothing in them, no pistons valves cams etc.

Thanks in advance.

Chris did indeed note some differences but he did also raise the possibility of offering a service to machine the NA block to convert to TT.

Chris did indeed note some differences but he did also raise the possibility of offering a service to machine the NA block to convert to TT.

That is true for the squirters, but I seem to remember him saying about the fact there is less material on the NA lump....

That said people are able to put silly power through them still :)

• 11 months later...

I'm interested in this thread :)

Been offered an NA supra.........I've had 2 TT's in the past an auto and 6sp manual.....

Wondering if it's worth getting the NA and whacking a turbo on it? What power have people got by doing this?

Or would it be better to get a TT engine/gearbox etc and swap it over?

Paul.

To much,

Just dump a TT engine in it

This is what i'm thinking.........i reckon the car is worth 2500 to 3k.........engine/ancillaries/gearbox etc for 1500 ish??

so say 4.5k for a TT........

The NA is in really good nick too. dont think i'd find a manual TT for 4.5K!

Paul.

i would say the NA_T setup is roughly the same as fitting a TT engine to be honest... depending what turbo setup you went for on the NA_T. 1500-2K doing all the stuff yourself and having a good friend who charges very little to map ;)

Not a lot in it really is there....but it sounds like I could get more power out of an NA-T for 2k than i would a TT.

Paul.

i think its about the same, next thing to do with the NA_T is bigger injectors, different wastgate spring or a boost controller, remap to 1-1.2 bar, then you would be fast. i would say a new clutch would then be on the cards and the W58 might get a little dodgy then...

How much do the NA-T's sell for when converted an mapped to say 0.6 bar?

I'm thinking of a project for a bit and then sell it and get a TT as a project.

Paul.

This is what i'm thinking.........i reckon the car is worth 2500 to 3k.........engine/ancillaries/gearbox etc for 1500 ish??

so say 4.5k for a TT........

The NA is in really good nick too. dont think i'd find a manual TT for 4.5K!

Paul.

Engine AND box for £1500? Don't think so mate.

The engines go for around £1500 with the ECU and wiring. Then you need to consider the gearbox. Auto's are a cheap swap as there's quite a few TT auto boxes around, but if you have the 5 spd NA box BPU will be pushing the limits of the box. You'll also need an uprated clutch at £350+

The NA-T conversion isn't really done very often now, it's expensive to do properly and there are major limitations as to how much power you can get from them.

If you want 350bhp and a manual then the cheapest way is to get an NA 5spd and drop the TT engine in with an uprated clutch. If you're frugal, it'd cost between £4k and £4.5k DIY. Just try and get an NA that has the LSD diff fitted, you really want one of those with an NA-T or TT.

How much do the NA-T's sell for when converted an mapped to say 0.6 bar?

I'm thinking of a project for a bit and then sell it and get a TT as a project.

Paul.

no idea mate. the only NA-T i have seen forsale in the last year or so was GazzaGsi that was a mint black NA-T kicking out 500hp. He had a lot of work done on it and i think it went for 7k ish..

the car is only worth what people are prepared to pay i guess...

if your currently NA 5speed you could drop the TT engine see Keron. Top Bloke, helpped me out loads... ;)

Engine AND box for £1500? Don't think so mate.

The engines go for around £1500 with the ECU and wiring. Then you need to consider the gearbox. Auto's are a cheap swap as there's quite a few TT auto boxes around, but if you have the 5 spd NA box BPU will be pushing the limits of the box. You'll also need an uprated clutch at £350+

The NA-T conversion isn't really done very often now, it's expensive to do properly and there are major limitations as to how much power you can get from them.

If you want 350bhp and a manual then the cheapest way is to get an NA 5spd and drop the TT engine in with an uprated clutch. If you're frugal, it'd cost between £4k and £4.5k DIY. Just try and get an NA that has the LSD diff fitted, you really want one of those with an NA-T or TT.

I'm 100% sure i could get both for around 1500 :) . Probably a lot cheaper if it needed rebuilding.

I'm in the trade so clutch kit etc isnt a problem really.

Paul.

I'm 100% sure i could get both for around 1500 :) . Probably a lot cheaper if it needed rebuilding.

I'm in the trade so clutch kit etc isnt a problem really.

Paul.

Good stuff, if you're in the trade then that'll make life a lot easier.

Any chance you could let me know where you got that engine for that price and are they likely to have any more?

Good stuff, if you're in the trade then that'll make life a lot easier.

Any chance you could let me know where you got that engine for that price and are they likely to have any more?

Rear ended car at auction :) They come up every now and then for peanuts!

Paul.