The mkiv Supra Owners Club

she lives..... marham crisis averted

Mike B

Big sigh of relief last night as Marham draws near....

if you have an adaptive ecu capable of pulling or adding 90% to your duty cycle in a closed loop system, and then your o2 sensor fails.. what happens...?

your car doesn't run with an afr of 25, or at least not very well!

Seeing a full rich signal from the busted o2 sensor it left me with a hard map that was but 10% of my original map. And what's worse, once turned off and cooled the ecu will not re-map with the new sensor in place until it reaches operating temperature of 50 degrees or so... chicken an egg!

A bit of jiggery pokery and last night we are remapped, all systems go, afr's perfect across the board, and ready for Marham, otherwise I would have had to go round the track in the company's van with supy's number plates on :)

It's a white van though, so I would have still been fastest around the twisties ;)

looking forward to it.

Yours is the only FCON I have heard of that does a full remap.

Reg did say that most only use a 20% for exactly this reason, but terry wanted 90%. I had 20 mins on the DCW teasing it back to life. the surrounding traffic was becoming a little frustrated with the A.D.D. supra bouncing around in the traffic.

There is a new Fcon available now with additional softwear options for the FBW throttle... which I still have the odd issue with.. and the updated map to go with, so I might be up for a new ECU.

I do like problems that can be solved at home :)

the new sensor definately has more control over the map. New setup seems more reactive, richer and cooler in the upper boost range.

looking forward to Marham, ten days or so now.

Im still not a fan of this setup Mike, If you didn't have the knock control and FBW i express my thoughts alot differently like with the DT maps

Just be careful, Wideband O2 sensors dont last long with all the condersation in the exhaust on a cold morning and i wonder how quick the FBW and Knock control would react if it did go again and pull 90% at 6k rpm...

Roll on Marham though. Have you booked a hotel yet?

Im still not a fan of this setup Mike, If you didn't have the knock control and FBW i express my thoughts alot differently like with the DT maps

Just be careful, Wideband O2 sensors dont last long with all the condersation in the exhaust on a cold morning and i wonder how quick the FBW and Knock control would react if it did go again and pull 90% at 6k rpm...

Roll on Marham though. Have you booked a hotel yet?

I hear you, and if it was not for FBW you would have some extra work. I have seen the knock protection work on the dyno and it does.. but still there is always the "but if" factor,

however there are so many other things that can go wrong having the fbw protection there could save me from a multitude of other diasters too! not just from a steroided up closed loop O2 system!

The old sensor did start to waver in reading strength, I have an aem to campare it with, but when the readings don't agree it's pot luck as to which one is wrong ;)

The old sensor broke because I, ahem..., bent it :innocent:

a full throttle / full liftoff on very hot grippy tyres and it hit the shield on the abs filler neck. I have now moved it's position in the DP.

Still not booked accom for marham, anyone going down on friday?

Glad you fixed it mike, is that why your egt`s were up on cruise aswell.

nope, not really bud...

i did retard the ign a little too far, Reg the original mapper as well as Ryan pointed this out, with a little more advance it cooled it a touch, but speaking to Reg about the whole temp issue he said that it it's not far of stock cruising temp, and he said that it sounds like my guage is inaccurate.. he only trusts the HKS one...

That's the thing with all this measuring.. how do you know if it's accurate or not??? lol

At the end of the day the FBW Det detection is there, and if it is hot I still can't det the engine. After 5 smoking laps of marham last year (most of them sideways) with oil at 120 degrees and water at 95 I was still fine for det, but unless I can get the apexi egt tested I'm putting it out of mind for now.

That's the bad thing about cars without det protection or warning. Mapping is all well and good but what happens after you have run it hard for a while.. 600hp produces a lot of heat!!