The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going Single need advice! Which Turbos?

randy

I am ready to go single and seriously need some advice before I place my order. I am looking at the SP67 GT HO and also the Boost logic BL67 GTQ. I am also buying fuel kit with 850cc injectors.

Just been for a ride in a T51 R supra which I beat in the drag and I was in shock as full boost came in at 5000+ RPM. although it had a 8k redline I was not too impressed with the kick on full boost 1.4 bar. No wonder he lost in the drag!!:eek: By the way he had a Veilside custom intake throtle body.

I certainly dont want a turbo to spool like this as it was too laggy and pretty un-usable on the street.

Which kit do you recomend I go in for? My goal is to run low 11sec 1/4 mile.

I am also planning to get the new 3 1/2" or 4" downpipe with the kit as it is supposed to help spool. Lots of talk about the new GT DBB turbos coming out in Jan by SP and BL any info on these?

:)

Originally posted by Gaz Walker

You wont need a 4" downpipe with a 67 either... :)

Gaz.

Why Gaz ??????? I would have thought the bigger the better and with an external w.gate holding boost down will not be a problem , a 4" DP can only help with spooling not hinder it ???:thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev

just wrote to a bloke tonight about a turbo t66 and t66 malta drag

also a t72 and a turbo calld the black

they pretty cheap for just the turbo. you can also get budget manifolds too. one guy on supra forums made 700+ rwhp on the budget manifold. what sort of specs is the 67 gtq and whats that anti surge all about?

are you fitting your singles yourself? just curious where you get oil and water feeds where you plumb into.

whats the 66 like against the 67 the t66 malta drag is good for upto 700+bhp

GARRET T66 .58 A/R .55 COMPRESSOR 400 hp to 780 hp

T66 MALTA DRAG garret on center .58 A/R .55 COMPRESSOR 700+ hp

excellent power for drag racing, also has 4" inlet

look here http://www.mjmturbos.com/images/MALTAT66.jpg

the higher the a/r the more laggy so a .58 a/r seems good agains a .98 a/r of a bigger turbo.

Originally posted by dude

Why Gaz ??????? I would have thought the bigger the better and with an external w.gate holding boost down will not be a problem , a 4" DP can only help with spooling not hinder it ???:thumbs:

I personally would say its not worth extra cash on a smaller setup - as Randy says he only wants 11s. No technical why not, valid point on the spool though.

Gaz.

Kean boost logic recommends --

"I recommend the T67 P Trim .81 housing for the 6-speed. The turbo is not too laggy but will make power in he 670-680RWHP range.

You can add on the Ported Shroud (anti surge housing) for an extra $225 . This (H)housing is a little larger than the regular T67 housing(S) and wil probably make a little more power than the 670RWHP-680RWHP range.

The upgrade to the 3.5" DP/MP is an extra $250. This will be a killer setup coupled with the HKS Ti exhaust.

Everyone is very happy with the T67 turbo as a street turbo. It spools up quickly and still makes a lot of power."

Do you think the .81 would cause too much lag? I was thinking of a .68 a/r.:)

I have .68 on mine and I'm thinking of changing to .81 to gain a bit more top end, it really does spool up quick with a .68. As regards drag times, theres an indian guy on SF who runs 9.8x at about 145mph with a 67 P trim. Can't remember his name, silver car with drag times in his sig.

I think if you go any bigger your car will actually get slower over the 1/4 mile unless you have a raised rev limiter, cams etc, because you will spend less time in the powerband.

The T51Kai has been around for a while now, and I think the garrett compressor wheels that SP and BL use move more air with less lag.

I've only felt my turbo on about 10psi, and it felt pretty quick. High boost should be very exciting indeed! If you go with a 67 I think you will struggle more with traction than with not having enough power.

Can you ask Kean why he recommended the P trim instead of the Q trim?