The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Losing everything through excessive speed

Stevie72

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It was whilst out driving the other day that I noticed a police car and hand held laser over a bridge on a strip of road (motorway), which can be a very attractive and usually EMPTY piece of road that could serve as an area to speed.

This started me thinking when I returned home, how easy it is to drive with a sense of invinceability on the road and forget the speeds at which a Supra can achieve.

Now I know that most people have on ocassion put their foot to the floor and got away with it, but what if, one time you give it some (as i could have very easily done) and say do 130-plus.

What then?

Ban - Yes

serious excessive speed = prison

Loss of Job

Home ect

What happens if you did lose it and collide with someone on the other side of the carriageway and kill them?

Basically as much as i hate Gatso's and speed camera's they do serve a purpose as do the police parking up in slip roads ect to remind us that they control the roads and we must respect the limits imposed.

All I am saying is be careful people and if you are going to give it some, either stick to a track, or an empty country road, at the end of the day, the penalties are vast!

Jeez I sound like a preacher!

BE SAFE

Best Regards

Steve;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It was whilst out driving the other day that I noticed a police car and hand held laser over a bridge on a strip of road (motorway), which can be a very attractive and usually EMPTY piece of road that could serve as an area to speed.

This started me thinking when I returned home, how easy it is to drive with a sense of invinceability on the road and forget the speeds at which a Supra can achieve.

Now I know that most people have on ocassion put their foot to the floor and got away with it, but what if, one time you give it some (as i could have very easily done) and say do 130-plus.

What then?

Ban - Yes

serious excessive speed = prison

Loss of Job

Home ect

What happens if you did lose it and collide with someone on the other side of the carriageway and kill them?

Basically as much as i hate Gatso's and speed camera's they do serve a purpose as do the police parking up in slip roads ect to remind us that they control the roads and we must respect the limits imposed.

All I am saying is be careful people and if you are going to give it some, either stick to a track, or an empty country road, at the end of the day, the penalties are vast!

Jeez I sound like a preacher!

BE SAFE

Best Regards

Steve;)

I wouldnt say a country road is that safe really, i know of a few people who have sped there way through the pearly gates on them.

I had a run in with a scooby on the way home from work, and like most people i took the bait and left him standing......it was at this point that i slowed down for traffic and he created his own 3rd lane and undertook everyone, he slowed down and said my car was "propper fast"!

It just goes to show what lenghts some people will go to, and i'm not trying to say that i am a saint, there have been many times that myself and MattC have been driving spiritedly and then looked at the speedo in disbelief.

I've got carried away a couple of times while encountering a 911 and a fast Merc, the roads were almost empty at the time (always motorways and dual carriageways) :blink:

Afterwards I felt terrible, the thought of being caught on camera and getting a letter through the post was very worrying to say the least.

I'm much wiser now, not just for my sake but more importantly for all the other road users.

i can completely understand what your saying.

my brother got a ban after being caught speeding (average of 116 leptons) whilst racing and undertaking!! on a duel carriageway (frikin' plug).. the charges got dropped to 'only' the speeding charge. 9 month ban, £500 fine... very very lucky IMO.

He has learned from this and now realises his utter stupidity but it was a one off at the time.

my only thought is that i think you'll find that the majority of people here are more than aware of the consequences and are reasonable sensible. :D

Bottom line is from reading alot of info on speeding, the police are taking a no- tolerance stance.

If some numpty wnats to try and undertake me ect they can go for it, I won't be the one on the end of a hefty fine! I get it all the time and have often taken the bait - NOT ANYMORE

I've got carried away a couple of times while encountering a 911 and a fast Merc, the roads were almost empty at the time (always motorways and dual carriageways) :blink:

Afterwards I felt terrible, the thought of being caught on camera and getting a letter through the post was very worrying to say the least.

I'm much wiser now, not just for my sake but more importantly for all the other road users.

Spot on - ditto

I often used the road thinking I was invinceable, but nowdays realise the harsh penalties and enjoy the car as best I can, without speeding - Hard as it is a nippy thing!

i can completely understand what your saying.

my brother got a ban after being caught speeding (average of 116 leptons) whilst racing and undertaking!! on a duel carriageway (frikin' plug).. the charges got dropped to 'only' the speeding charge. 9 month ban, £500 fine... very very lucky IMO.

He has learned from this and now realises his utter stupidity but it was a one off at the time.

my only thought is that i think you'll find that the majority of people here are more than aware of the consequences and are reasonable sensible. :D

The ban would be bad enough, but imagine the shit of having to re-take your test!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need to ask, then that just sums up what kind of driver you are.

There is nothing worse than d#ckheads that stay in the middle or outside lane.

I forgot you only had to be 18 to drive - I take it from your response you are a teenager!

Numpty

I never said i hog the oustide lane, so don't start being presumptious, besides the laws of the road are clear. If you want to undertake someone, do it at your own demise if that person in the lane is doing the speed limit- JEEZ

After you have a few good accidents and barely walk away with your life, you end up learning not to take unecessary risks, lets hope people don't learn the hard way.

I once jumped over another car that was next to me only doing 75mph and jumped over the dual carriage-way onto the other side in the process, flying into the sky looking at the stars and I thought it was all over in those 5 or so seconds of wired calmness, while 3000watts of bass with church bell music still playing, I came out scratch free and walked away in shock, the car ended up over 100ft from where I jumped and facing the right way on the opposite side of the dual carriage way. The car was FUBAR but I still drove it home.

To top it off it was Friday the 13th, at 1.30am with noone to help me, even the AA did not turn up so I washed the car in the petrol garage to avoid being stopped by police on the way home...crazy! to this day I can honestly say the sound system saved my life due to its weight it kept the car from rolling around in the air, as well as God on my side.

Thats just one incident. So my advice is don't take any unecessary risks, coz it could be all over in just a minute, forget about the house, job and all that stuff, your life and health is more important.

"If a cats got nine lives then how many do humans have coz I have at least been saved 5-7 times", if I am speeding even 150mph it's because I know the risks are low but still you never know what might happen.

Point is if you are gonna take risks prepare to take the consequences!

After you have a few good accidents and barely walk away with your life, you end up learning not to take unecessary risks, lets hope people don't learn the hard way.

I once jumped over another car that was next to me only doing 75mph and jumped over the dual carriage-way onto the other side in the process, flying into the sky looking at the stars and I thought it was all over in those 5 or so seconds of wired calmness, while 3000watts of bass with church bell music still playing, I came out scratch free and walked away in shock, the car ended up over 100ft from where I jumped and facing the right way on the opposite side of the dual carriage way. The car was FUBAR but I still drove it home.

To top it off it was Friday the 13th, at 1.30am with noone to help me, even the AA did not turn up so I washed the car in the petrol garage to avoid being stopped by police on the way home...crazy! to this day I can honestly say the sound system saved my life due to its weight it kept the car from rolling around in the air, as well as God on my side.

Thats just one incident. So my advice is don't take any unecessary risks, coz it could be all over in just a minute, forget about the house, job and all that stuff, your life and health is more important.

"If a cats got nine lives then how many do humans have coz I have at least been saved 5-7 times", if I am speeding even 150mph it's because I know the risks are low but still you never know what might happen.

Exactly,I too have learnt from my mistakes, the problem is (for me anyway) is that you tend to forget and that copper on the motorway just jogged my memory, which basically served their purpose.

I forgot you only had to be 18 to drive - I take it from your response you are a teenager!

I wish.

I never said i hog the oustide lane, so don't start being presumptious, besides the laws of the road are clear. If you want to undertake someone, do it at your own demise if that person in the lane is doing the speed limit- JEEZ

Iirc you are only allowed to undertake as long as you have not crossed lanes to do so. If you cross lanes to undertake this is illegal.

Numpty

Oh and being abusive to other members in not accepted now.

Everyone be carefull, i soon (hopefully not) will not be able to count the amount of people i know who have died on the roads on both hands

im only 20. and its been within a small time frame aswell

Not worth it at all

Good man, I remember all those moons ago, that at 20, i certainly wasn't as wise as you.

Even at 35 years of age, i sometimes forget that i am driving a lethal weapon- weapon i accept if i drive it like one!

Good man, I remember all those moons ago, that at 20, i certainly wasn't as wise as you.

Even at 35 years of age, i sometimes forget that i am driving a lethal weapon- weapon i accept if i drive it like one!

One of the key reasons i sold the Supra, i was 19 and had a TT6 Supra legally on the road

Temptation was high

But unfortunately too so were casualtys/fatalitys around me, so that, along with costs, aided me in my decision.

I wish.

Iirc you are only allowed to undertake as long as you have not crossed lanes to do so. If you cross lanes to undertake this is illegal.

Oh and being abusive to other members in not accepted now.

I believe only on the basis that it is safe to do so, breaking the speed limit is NOT SAFE

Sorry but if you are implying someone is a dlllkhead, THEN YOU ARE being abusive!