The mkiv Supra Owners Club

coilover help needed!

ub1supra

hi im new to the forum but have owned a jap spec supra for around four years now, but only last week i baught a uk spec tt 6, but when i put my 19 inch wheels on, my supra looked like a 4x4! i want a coilover set up that isnt too stiff but handles well at the same time, were should i go and how much should i spend?

any help would be much appreciated.

BTW, what do you mean by coilovers? The stock suspension is coilover type.

I would say he means the 'normal' coilover definition as opposed to the picky person's definition.

i.e. something like Tein Superstreets etc and not just suspension that uses a spring over a damper.

Of course, you already know this you trouble maker you ;)

I would say he means the 'normal' coilover definition as opposed to the picky person's definition.

i.e. something like Tein Superstreets etc and not just suspension that uses a spring over a damper.

Of course, you already know this you trouble maker you ;)

Please tell me what the 'normal persons' definition of 'coilover' is. Does it just mean 'aftermarket' suspension to you 'normal' folks then? I genuinely don't know.

Please tell me what the 'normal persons' definition of 'coilover' is. Does it just mean 'aftermarket' suspension to you 'normal' folks then? I genuinely don't know.

I'll play along here anyway, despite the fact I still think you know what you're talking about.

Those 'coilovers' that are purchased as dampers and springs as a single unit and are generally both height and damping adjustable would be considered 'coilovers' by the masses.

I agree that you are technically correct in your observation that the Supra's standard suspension is coil over damper but most of us would simply consider these to be separate spring and damper with 'coilovers' being the aforementioned adjustable units.

HTH

The stock supra suspension has coilovers (whatever spec) :blink: Coilovers are when you have the spring mounted over the damper in a single unit, there is no other way to explain the stock setup. A non-coil-over suspension would have the spring and damper mounted separately, this is impossible on a supra.

With regard to the OP's question, the UK spec has a much higher suspension height than the jspec. It's designed to be softer and more complient (i.e far more travel) than the imports. This is why the car will look like a monster truck if the suspension is still stock UK.

The stock supra suspension has coilovers (whatever spec) :blink: Coilovers are when you have the spring mounted over the damper in a single unit, there is no other way to explain the stock setup. A non-coil-over suspension would have the spring and damper mounted separately, this is impossible on a supra.

With regard to the OP's question, the UK spec has a much higher suspension height than the jspec. It's designed to be softer and more complient (i.e far more travel) than the imports. This is why the car will look like a monster truck if the suspension is still stock UK.

Oh come on!

I KNOW what you're saying is CORRECT in that the actual setup of the Supra's suspension is coilover.

The standard suspension i.e. Bilstein damper and whoever's spring is not adjustable for height nor damping and if one brakes you can simply replace the spring or damper component separately via Toyota or whoever.

Mr Ub is obviously on about something like Tein Superstreets in which case they are height adjustable (which is the function he wants).

As I said, I know these are both technically coilover setups but the masses will not see it this way and this will basically confuse the shit out of them :D

Oh come on!

As I said, I know these are both technically coilover setups but the masses will not see it this way and this will basically confuse the shit out of them :D

Yes and your response(s) in the tech section are not helping clarify this.

A coilover unit does not mean adjustable suspension. That would be a 'height adjustable coilover'. Please do not muddy the waters here ;)

In order to make this clear for current and future views of this thread: ALL supra's have coilover suspension. A few aftermarket suspension kits have adjustable ride height and adjustable damper settings.

In order to make this clear for current and future views of this thread: ALL supra's have coilover suspension. A fewaftermarket suspension kits has adjustable ride high and adjustable damper settings.

Agreed. I still maintain that Jake knew exactly what I was talking about though.

As I said, I know these are both technically coilover setups but the masses will not see it this way and this will basically confuse the **** out of them :D

Eh? Coilovers are coilovers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

Either the coil (spring) is over the strut or it isn't. Height-adjustment is an additional feature, not a defining one.

EDIT - never mind, all sorted whilst I typed. I must be slow! :hunter:

hi im new to the forum but have owned a jap spec supra for around four years now, but only last week i baught a uk spec tt 6, but when i put my 19 inch wheels on, my supra looked like a 4x4! i want a coilover set up that isnt too stiff but handles well at the same time, were should i go and how much should i spend?

any help would be much appreciated.

Have you let the suspension settle after having the car in the air? As Jake said if you have the correct profile tyres fitted the overall diameter of the wheel/tyres should be the same ie. the ride height should be the same.

The standard UK spec Supra springs and dampers are slightly on the softer side for ride comfort, if you are happy with the current ride then I would just fit a set of springs to lower the ride height slightly. If you want a slightly stiffer more performance orientated ride then a set of OEM Bilstein dampers and lowering springs (Eibach, Tein, etc.) would be a good option.