The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Zinc coated disk's + alloy wheel cleaner bad mix???

bmx1lew

Today I gave the car a good wash, when coming to clean my alloys I used Carplan wonder wheels alloy cleaner which you spray on and whipe off, any way after a good clean I realised my brake disks have gone from silver to a rusty bronze colour, I can only presume it is off the wheel cleaner as it has happend in a space of 2 minuets straight after i sprayed the alloys.

Has the wheel cleaner eaten at the zinc?

I did also spray my brake calipers which started to fizz up so im not sure if the rust has ran off my calipers and onto my disks, now i tried scubbing the stuff off but it didnt make much of a difference, Now the strange thing is the front ones are ok.. so i am totally lost off.

also to add to this, if you imadgin your disk, where the brake pads touch is still silver however where they dont is now bronze now zinc coated disks shouldnt rust?

Any one got any idea's, I will get pic's tomorrow if needed?

Lew.

Your discs aren't zinc coated.

The discolouration is just rust from the water getting on them. It's perfectly normal and not to be worried about.

WonderWheels is just acid (hydrochloric IIRC) and is not a good thing to be putting on wheels, or anything, very often.

I used to use wonder-wheels, and do still occasionally use it on stubbon areas only, but you must ensure that you don't get it into any cracks/kerbs or split-rims, and also get it rinsed off VERY quickly.... I actually watered it down a bit which made it go further, and not react so fast. Downside is that it isn't as good at getting the dirt off, but still good enough :)

On my new car I doubt I'll use it though - too many places for it to get into and eat away at the wheels!

But it wouldnt rust in a space of 2 minuets?

wow I really didnt think it was that bad, what other products would you recomend?..

I forgot to mention I got it in my left eye which felt like some one was crushing my eye ball didnt burn though.. also my eye is ok lol.

What does IIRC mean, I see people saying it all the time.

I got zinc coated ones as there was a cockup in my order so for my trouble he zinc coated them free of charge.

I will get some Peter when my new alloys come :eyebrows:

also you can supply me some good cleaning gear once i get my new kit and bumpers painted oh and once the rest of the car has been detailed lol

The joys of a supra. becoming skint, think i might sell my body.