The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Much am i looking at....

ManwithSupra

Depends on lots of things. Like do you have a complete new engine to go in with all accessories, turbos etc attached so you can just yank one and drop the other in, or will they need to transfer bits over. If they have to strip the turbos, cams, intake etc off a stock engine and transfer them that will take a lot of work.

Whats a reasonable cost for a garage to take an engine out, and out another in ?? Any idea's??

Just so i know what i may have to include in my costs as i may need to replace my engine :(

why not pm a few traders you will get a better idea, matt at afr to name one, he is on here regularly

Depends on lots of things. Like do you have a complete new engine to go in with all accessories, turbos etc attached so you can just yank one and drop the other in, or will they need to transfer bits over. If they have to strip the turbos, cams, intake etc off a stock engine and transfer them that will take a lot of work.

Yeah i thought about that :(

The only engine i can find that has a warranty and done under 30k miles does not include any of the ancillieries which means it will need to be transferred to the other engine..... which is a pain cos thats more cost...

IF it were just a case of swapping the engines stright how much do you reckon we will be looking at??

And on a gut feeling how much extra do you reckon the cost of adding the parts to the new engine....

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a nightmare :(

Yeah i thought about that :(

The only engine i can find that has a warranty and done under 30k miles does not include any of the ancillieries which means it will need to be transferred to the other engine..... which is a pain cos thats more cost...

IF it were just a case of swapping the engines stright how much do you reckon we will be looking at??

And on a gut feeling how much extra do you reckon the cost of adding the parts to the new engine....

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a nightmare :(

the swapping af all the ancillaries will be more than an engine in and out job, its hard to price as new gaskets washers ect will be needed and different garages have different hourly rates

If I recall corrrectly a new 2JZ GTE bottom end is about £2200

Im sure one of the traders on here posted a price recently but I cant find it unfortunately.

not exactly a cheap fix when you add in labour to rebuild the motor around it (more if you go as far as getting it blueprinted) but your guaranteed a good motor

I would be wary about those under 30k engines, I spent a lot of time researching this through the issues I had, a lot of them are swaps, i.e. they take your old engine in exchange, and what happens to your engine....? Bet your bottom dollar it probably gets rebuilt and sold to someone as an under 30k engine.......

If you can hear one running it's best.

Feel free to PM me about it. To swap you're looking at about £1000-1500 probably if a straight swap, if changing ancillaries or turbos over it can easy add a few more hundred on....don't rush into things otherwise you'll regret it!!

You'll also be surprised what you can get back for your old engine:)

the swapping af all the ancillaries will be more than an engine in and out job, its hard to price as new gaskets washers ect will be needed

Spot on Gaz.

To swap an engine and swap the ancilliaries with the stock turbos etc you'd be talking at least £1.5k I would have thought. A straight swap probably more like £500.

Yup, can't argue with that either.

You can get them for about £1400 delivered from the states.

I can get a shortblock from Toyota for a little bit more, does this include duty ?

it is worth getting a new water pump, oil pump and all new gaskets from him while you are at it

Yet more good advice :D

You're welcome to PM or call if you wish to discuss options mate :)

Bargain!

I didnt realise they were so cheap :)

yep, but a long wait from the US though, 6-8weeks, if you've got the time then it's fine. It's worth posting on the US forum and the guys there are helpful and were willing to ship to the UK;)

The strong pound really helps, even after import tax works out quite well.