The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how to get more noise from a stock supra

AgtX80

The car is very quiet, all credit to toyota, this thing is a beast. Would fitting an aftermarket air filter/intake make much difference in the engine sound/loudness? I know youll say get an exhaust but thats one extreme to another & a lot more expensive.

The car is very quiet, all credit to toyota, this thing is a beast. Would fitting an aftermarket air filter/intake make much difference in the engine sound/loudness? I know youll say get an exhaust but thats one extreme to another & a lot more expensive.

Do a search re aftermarket intakes, they aren't very well regarded to be honest.

An exhaust is a far better way, decat would help.

Get an exhaust lol..

+ a second decat

Dont bother with an aftermarket filter or induction kit unless you have a good cold air feed otherwise all your sucking in is warm air from the engine bay!

Guest Gaz Shaw

Some ppl on here will have a laugh at anyone who wants an air filter on cos they say you get dust in your engine!

I put one on mine and sounds much better especially after 4500rpm sounds more sporty pal!

I said mine didnt sound like a sports car like it should and ppl kept makin out i said it wasnt one???????

Everyone to there own pal i say, put one on save some money and when you save up and get exhaust done then if ya cant here air filter cos exhaust is loud take it off so ya got peace of mind, but for now you got the sound ya want!

Hope this helps mate!

Some ppl on here will have a laugh at anyone who wants an air filter on cos they say you get dust in your engine!

I put one on mine and sounds much better especially after 4500rpm sounds more sporty pal!

I said mine didnt sound like a sports car like it should and ppl kept makin out i said it wasnt one???????

Everyone to there own pal i say, put one on save some money and when you save up and get exhaust done then if ya cant here air filter cos exhaust is loud take it off so ya got peace of mind, but for now you got the sound ya want!

Hope this helps mate!

If i remember correctly some people have stripped down engines using not so good after market filters but some have been ok so far and still running. Try for an apexi induction kit if you get hold of one but i do notice a loss of power in mine for a few seconds of sitting in traffic as the bay gets warm but as soon as i start moving again its fine, otherwise stay stock and get a nice second hand back box for not much more than a decent new induction kit. And second hand decats are pretty cheap too and you will get a bit of a bump in performance.

seriously though, an aftermarket filter, apexi,blitz etc will increase the noise of the turbo's from what I've experienced, most people on here seem to say the HKS isnt the most ideal filter, but to tarnish all the other filters with the same brush is a bit much :)

Guest Gaz Shaw

Yeah i here alot about it too but for a few months till money comes it should be ok!

Hey do you think a Viper would be better with the filter not bein open in the bay?

My N/A was fitted with a HKS mushroom filter when I bought it. I fit a stock airbox after a few months and the performance difference was VERY noticeable, way more responsive and far better to drive.

Unfortunately, the car is burning all it's oil up in less than 2000 miles and is gonna cost about a grand to get rebuilt. This has been attributed largely to the mushroom filter letting crap into the engine.

Your choice. Personally, I'd stop being a girl and get a proper exhaust rather have a quiet car than a big rebuild bill in a few years.