The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lowering Springs - Photos Please

michael

Just hoping a few people can help me out - I've decided to keep the car so the modding continues, one of the next items on the list is lowering springs.

What I'm looking for is some photos of cars (preferably on standard 17's) with springs fitted, even better if you have before and after shots.

I'm looking for a kit that lowers the front end a little more than the rear as I'm happy with the back end, I just think the front sits too high - I'm not looking to 'slam' it or anthing, just even things up a little and stiffen the ride to stop me getting seasick on trackdays.

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/elvington-trackday/DSC_2952.jpg

Sadly my budget doesn't run to a full suspension setup at the moment so I'm starting with the springs. If you can share some pics with me and let me know which springs you have I'd be grateful.

darren - aside from a the obviously harsher ride (:innocent: ), and despite having to drive on crap london roads - i have had no real issues with them. pls bear in mind the car came with a different set of even lower! springs which i took off and put these on. i feel the damping(?) rate is fairly good ie. not too much crashiness ... sorry for the non-techie reply but it was the best i could come up with on short notice :(

:)

Originally posted by Rob

I'm on Eibachs, unfortunately 16" wheels though.

Might be the camera angle but the front still looks a bit higher than I'd like, back is spot on for looks, as I said above it's a NuR Spec worry though :)

I knew I could rely on you chaps for some pics, top stuff!

Originally posted by Darren

Mcanny,

Nathan @ TDI has a secondhand set of Eibachs for sale £85 + nonsense unless theyve gone.

Was thinking about buying them myself but im skint cos of my hybrids, injectors etc...God I'm an unselfish guy!

Cheers Darren, I'll look into it - I've already kind of got my name on Kevin H's old Eibachs but I'm not sure if he has his new suspension on yet or if the springs are still available.

Hybrids eh.... :alien:

Eibachs do seem a little variable in how much they drop a car. I have seen a set of Eibachs on a UK spec drop it so far that the front plastic bit was hitting speed ramps.

I have TRD springs on my UK spec, its dropped it a long way as well but the handling is exceptional.

You will probably need to change shocks at the same time to get the most out of lowering the car.

I will post up some pics of my car lowered soon as I can find some.

JB

Originally posted by mcanny

Damn it, I want a TRD spoiler now ;)QUOTE]

:D

JB is quite right about the shocks tho ... i had the bog standard jap shocks (black toyota jobbies) with a set of jap aftermarket springs and the ride was crashy beyond belief ! the current bilstein/eibach set-up is far superior IMO. lowered a fair bit but not as much as the previous set-up (PITA on bad roads/ramps) and the ride is far smoother and well-damped. :)

Hi Michael, the Eibach's still have your name on them:) I am very busy in the body shop with the next phase of my modifications at the mo as well as my other two jobs;) But the suspension tweaks are next on my list so the springs will be available in the not to distant future. Its just deciding what setup to go for next! So many to choose from!

Cheers Darren, I'll look into it - I've already kind of got my name on Kevin H's old Eibachs but I'm not sure if he has his new suspension on yet or if the springs are still available.

Hybrids eh.... :alien:

Originally posted by Kevin Huntley

Hi Michael, the Eibach's still have your name on them:) I am very busy in the body shop with the next phase of my modifications at the mo as well as my other two jobs;) But the suspension tweaks are next on my list so the springs will be available in the not to distant future. Its just deciding what setup to go for next! So many to choose from!

Happy days :)

Looking forward to seeing the updated version of the car.

Might be the camera angle but the front still looks a bit higher than I'd like, back is spot on for looks, as I said above it's a NuR Spec worry though :)

I knew I could rely on you chaps for some pics, top stuff!

I think you're right, but IIRC I had just put the wheel back on and removed jack, when that photo was taken. Here's one in full flight...

brands2.jpg

Looks good, lower than I expected at the back end - I'd be a bit worried about my NuR getting ripped off on the pesky speed bumps.

Not exactly the same but I have Tein shocks/springs which have lowered my car 35mm all round and I have just fitted a Nur Spec.

To be honest we have some mammoth speed humps down here and I haven't had any problems so far, as long as you go very slowly over them.

If you take them at anything other than 2mph then the exhaust scrapes or hits (dependant on size). Its not the back box that hits though its the connecting pipe thats sits low.

Hope this helps, for what its worth I would definetly get it lowered. IMO it looks so much better.:)