PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Springs - Photos Please



michael
26-11-03, 15:37
Just hoping a few people can help me out - I've decided to keep the car so the modding continues, one of the next items on the list is lowering springs.

What I'm looking for is some photos of cars (preferably on standard 17's) with springs fitted, even better if you have before and after shots.

I'm looking for a kit that lowers the front end a little more than the rear as I'm happy with the back end, I just think the front sits too high - I'm not looking to 'slam' it or anthing, just even things up a little and stiffen the ride to stop me getting seasick on trackdays.

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/supra/mine/elvington-trackday/DSC_2952.jpg

Sadly my budget doesn't run to a full suspension setup at the moment so I'm starting with the springs. If you can share some pics with me and let me know which springs you have I'd be grateful.

Gaz Walker
26-11-03, 15:55
Michael,

I dont have any pics but the Eibachs seem a popular option, Around 30mm all round, but the front is normally more of a drop than the rear. Cost is 200 quid a set.

Gaz.

michael
26-11-03, 16:37
Yeah from the archives the Eibach and CW springs seem like the popular choices, actually while you are here and on this topic if you see Kevin elbow him in the ribs and say "Eibach" so he doesn't forget I have my name on his ;)

Roy
26-11-03, 17:08
mine on 18's n eibachs

Rob
26-11-03, 17:11
I'm on Eibachs, unfortunately 16" wheels though.

Barry
26-11-03, 17:17
I'm on Eibachs too. Standard size 17's although not standard wheels.

Barry
26-11-03, 17:17
And another....

Darren
26-11-03, 17:37
Hows the handling with the Eibachs guys?

SkyJawa
26-11-03, 18:40
Ditto Darren ;)

Man they look ace :D But I really think I'd be buggered if I went lower as I already scrape my front bumper on ramps etc with the stock (as far as I know) Jap suspension.

Those pics with them on look soooo much cooler, nice drop :D

Roy
26-11-03, 18:50
darren - aside from a the obviously harsher ride (:innocent: ), and despite having to drive on crap london roads - i have had no real issues with them. pls bear in mind the car came with a different set of even lower! springs which i took off and put these on. i feel the damping(?) rate is fairly good ie. not too much crashiness ... sorry for the non-techie reply but it was the best i could come up with on short notice :(

:)

Darren
26-11-03, 19:23
Mcanny,

Nathan @ TDI has a secondhand set of Eibachs for sale 85 + nonsense unless theyve gone.

Was thinking about buying them myself but im skint cos of my hybrids, injectors etc...God I'm an unselfish guy!

michael
26-11-03, 20:06
Originally posted by Roy
mine on 18's n eibachs


Damn it, I want a TRD spoiler now ;)

Looks good, lower than I expected at the back end - I'd be a bit worried about my NuR getting ripped off on the pesky speed bumps.

michael
26-11-03, 20:08
Originally posted by Rob
I'm on Eibachs, unfortunately 16" wheels though.

Might be the camera angle but the front still looks a bit higher than I'd like, back is spot on for looks, as I said above it's a NuR Spec worry though :)

I knew I could rely on you chaps for some pics, top stuff!

michael
26-11-03, 20:12
Originally posted by Darren
Mcanny,

Nathan @ TDI has a secondhand set of Eibachs for sale 85 + nonsense unless theyve gone.

Was thinking about buying them myself but im skint cos of my hybrids, injectors etc...God I'm an unselfish guy!


Cheers Darren, I'll look into it - I've already kind of got my name on Kevin H's old Eibachs but I'm not sure if he has his new suspension on yet or if the springs are still available.

Hybrids eh.... :alien: < green with envy :)

Branners
26-11-03, 20:23
Eibachs do seem a little variable in how much they drop a car. I have seen a set of Eibachs on a UK spec drop it so far that the front plastic bit was hitting speed ramps.

I have TRD springs on my UK spec, its dropped it a long way as well but the handling is exceptional.

You will probably need to change shocks at the same time to get the most out of lowering the car.

I will post up some pics of my car lowered soon as I can find some.

JB

Roy
26-11-03, 21:13
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcanny
Damn it, I want a TRD spoiler now ;)QUOTE]

:D

JB is quite right about the shocks tho ... i had the bog standard jap shocks (black toyota jobbies) with a set of jap aftermarket springs and the ride was crashy beyond belief ! the current bilstein/eibach set-up is far superior IMO. lowered a fair bit but not as much as the previous set-up (PITA on bad roads/ramps) and the ride is far smoother and well-damped. :)

Kevin Huntley
26-11-03, 23:22
Hi Michael, the Eibach's still have your name on them:) I am very busy in the body shop with the next phase of my modifications at the mo as well as my other two jobs;) But the suspension tweaks are next on my list so the springs will be available in the not to distant future. Its just deciding what setup to go for next! So many to choose from!


Originally posted by mcanny
Cheers Darren, I'll look into it - I've already kind of got my name on Kevin H's old Eibachs but I'm not sure if he has his new suspension on yet or if the springs are still available.

Hybrids eh.... :alien: < green with envy :)

Paul Laing
26-11-03, 23:30
Kevin, when can i pick up that TRD spoiler mate?

Paul

michael
26-11-03, 23:31
Originally posted by Kevin Huntley
Hi Michael, the Eibach's still have your name on them:) I am very busy in the body shop with the next phase of my modifications at the mo as well as my other two jobs;) But the suspension tweaks are next on my list so the springs will be available in the not to distant future. Its just deciding what setup to go for next! So many to choose from!


Happy days :)

Looking forward to seeing the updated version of the car.

Kevin Huntley
27-11-03, 00:52
Hi Paul, being meaning to call you to catch up! The spoiler is off the car and ready when you are. Your polished lid is also ready for collection.

Thanks

K


Originally posted by Paul Laing
Kevin, when can i pick up that TRD spoiler mate?

Paul

Rob
27-11-03, 01:29
Originally posted by mcanny
Might be the camera angle but the front still looks a bit higher than I'd like, back is spot on for looks, as I said above it's a NuR Spec worry though :)

I knew I could rely on you chaps for some pics, top stuff!

I think you're right, but IIRC I had just put the wheel back on and removed jack, when that photo was taken. Here's one in full flight...

michael
27-11-03, 08:22
Originally posted by Rob
I think you're right, but IIRC I had just put the wheel back on and removed jack, when that photo was taken. Here's one in full flight...


Looking good :D

Darren
27-11-03, 10:24
Originally posted by mcanny
[
Hybrids eh.... :alien: < green with envy :) [/B]


You wouldn't envy the state of my bank account!:eek:

Cant wait though!:p

Steve W2
27-11-03, 10:34
Originally posted by mcanny
Looks good, lower than I expected at the back end - I'd be a bit worried about my NuR getting ripped off on the pesky speed bumps.

Not exactly the same but I have Tein shocks/springs which have lowered my car 35mm all round and I have just fitted a Nur Spec.

To be honest we have some mammoth speed humps down here and I haven't had any problems so far, as long as you go very slowly over them.

If you take them at anything other than 2mph then the exhaust scrapes or hits (dependant on size). Its not the back box that hits though its the connecting pipe thats sits low.

Hope this helps, for what its worth I would definetly get it lowered. IMO it looks so much better.:)

Paul Laing
27-11-03, 10:59
Nice one Kevin, many thanks

Paul :thumbs:

Roy
27-11-03, 11:07
Originally posted by Darren
You wouldn't envy the state of my bank account!

i'm surprised some of us aren't already on the asylum seekers list what with the amount we spend on our cars ! :innocent: :p

darren - i'm sure you aren't alone in this ... LOL :D