The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plates, legal!

Mariusz

To be 100% legal they should be standard size.

Some will say that as it's an import you can get away with a smaller front plate but that's only true if the car doesn't have room for a standard plate. The Supra does.

Should the rear plate be 12x6" or 8X6"?

I make the rear plate to be 14" x 6.5"

I've been to loads of number plate sites, but I can't find any that do import size fonts. Does anyone know of any? They all do "import plates" but when I come to the font section it's either UK legal, 3D or lots of stupid barry fonts.

another big-up for craigsplates here - they do the import font as above - you need to select the Road plates, agree to send in your proof of ownership/identity and then you can choose various sizes from there. Legal plates as they put their address/ID at the bottom with the BS number.

another big-up for craigsplates here - they do the import font as above - you need to select the Road plates, agree to send in your proof of ownership/identity and then you can choose various sizes from there. Legal plates as they put their address/ID at the bottom with the BS number.

I have these to, but they didn't pass an MOT test and even though I've read the DVLA info, it's to vauge to make me belive that they are 100% legal.

I've got a bomex nose and the import size fit nicely in the fitting provided.

I have these to, but they didn't pass an MOT test and even though I've read the DVLA info, it's to vauge to make me belive that they are 100% legal.

I've got a bomex nose and the import size fit nicely in the fitting provided.

interesting.... if it doesn't pass an MOT, wonder what craigsplates would say? Would you get your money back?

Were you given a reason as to why it didn't pass? It would have to be because they feel that your car CAN have a full-size plate.. very grey area really.

The front jspec number plate holder is 13" wide with a curved top so wont take a UK plate so you can have a smaller plate with motorcycle size letters and numbers (64mm).

What is an import plate and can I have one legally?

Any vehicle that has been imported from outside Europe (i.e. doesn't have European Wholetype Approval) AND has a functional reason why they cannot display a normal UK size number plate, can display a smaller sized plate. The plate is smaller because it uses 64mm bike height font rather than the larger 79mm car height font.

http://www.craigsplates.com/common-questions-about-number-plates#anchor34

Soaruss - I was going on that info from craigsplates as well. But I think it is down to the MOT garage's discretion almost - to try and argue if your supra cannot display a normal plate is probably a battle and a half....

Maybe keep a normal plate in the boot for a straight swap if you have problems?

Having said that the text is waaaay small. I asked for "-10mm" which I presumed to be 10mm less than the standard 79mm, but the front plate is about 50mm high. Their website doesn't seem too clear, it just has "standard" then + or - in increments of 1mm.