The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coolant bottle + Pipes- Need advice on this!

Firestorm

hey guys,

im now starting to get a little more comfortable when looking under the hood of my supra and after months of listening and reading you guys' advice on the car i decided i would have a look under the hood and starting getting familiar with all the parts that are on my car- this was great! i was seeing what was their happy with everything i had read up on.

Noticed my HID kit was actually mounted. just slotted in a convient place- (wil have to fix that) but then thought ah theres my left front main beam light- so i fixed that back in...

i then noticed my other HID kit was put down by the battery.. this is where i noticed my coolant bottle...

well i say that but therers a blue pipe frm the radiotor cap to the bottle and then the bottle to well nowhere?? which after about an hour searching and reading up on ive come to the conclusion its the overflow bottle... its slotted next to the battery and the wing. i had to lift it out to get to the head lights easier but basically...

i open the bottle and all was in it was a little brown liquid and thats it! so im guessing this is bad and the other question- the bottle had another pipe going off it.. to well nowhere? i could find where i should go if it should go and im a little lost on what to do !?

help?

The radiator expansion bottle should be around 1/2 full. As the fluid in the rad heats and expands the fluid will overflow into the bottle, when the fluid in the rad cools and contracts the rad will draw the fluid back into the rad. The expansion bottle basically stops air from being drawn back into the rad.

The pipe coming off the top of the expansion bottle is as it should be, this is just an overflow pipe, if the bottle over flows the fluid will drain out of this pipe onto the road.

The radiator expansion bottle should be around 1/2 full. As the fluid in the rad heats and expands the fluid will overflow into the bottle, when the fluid in the rad cools and contracts the rad will draw the fluid back into the rad. The expansion bottle basically stops air from being drawn back into the rad.

The pipe coming off the top of the expansion bottle is as it should be, this is just an overflow pipe, if the bottle over flows the fluid will drain out of this pipe onto the road.

thanks nic! legend! so thats good.. okay so im guessing im running low on coolant..

thanks nic! legend! so thats good.. okay so im guessing im running low on coolant..

Yes just top up the bottle to around half full so it covers the end of the pipe that goes into the bottle.

When you engine is cold, remove the rad cap start the engine, rev a little by moving the throttle pulley, if the fluid is low top up slowly continuing to rev the engine a little to circulate the fluid and get rid of any air in the system. When completely full replace the rad cap and all should be fine.

Yes just top up the bottle to around half full so it covers the end of the pipe that goes into the bottle.

When you engine is cold, remove the rad cap start the engine, rev a little by moving the throttle pulley, if the fluid is low top up slowly continuing to rev the engine a little to circulate the fluid and get rid of any air in the system. When completely full replace the rad cap and all should be fine.

ah sweet! cheers dude! il do that 2nite ! thanks mate

btw

is Toyota red long-life coolant the best to use?