The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension advice

R3DG3CKO ROB

Hi guys

I'm planning to overhaul the suspension soon and am currently looking at the Tein Superstreets with top mounts. I have two questions in the back of my mind though.

I'm considering spending the extra £100 and going for the Tein Flex instead... The SS seem to be Teins top street coilovers where as the flex seem to be the entry level race ones, has anyone fitted the flex to a supra?

I've also been considering overhauling the actual suspension as well. Question is is it really worth it? I'm thinking polly bushes, sway bars etc.

All advice and opinions welcome.

The Tein Flex use a harder spring rate compared to the Tein Super Streets, they are lighter in weight, better constructed and offer more adjustability.

I would advise against poly bushes as they would be a downgrade. A better option would be to fit replacement OEM arms, see my reasoning on the subject here:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=140356

Overhauling all the suspension will make a huge difference, it'll tighten everything up, improve traction and ride quality.

How much are a set of OEM arms? I think a nice set of new arb's with balljoints is a good way forward.

I can supply at a HUGE saving compared to local Toyota prices, if you email me at the address in my sig I will send you a price list.

I thought that aftermarkket polly bushes were supposed to last longer than the oem ones?

Poly bushes are simply turned or moulded bits of rubber, the OEM arms use spherical bearings which work to much tighter tolerances giving less play in the joints.

OEM is the way forward, especially if youre getting harder springs and are on 18/19 rims you'll lose any sembelance of ride quality. IIRC a standard lower arm is 170 quid from Toyota, but you can buy uprated rubber bushes from Vlamos in australia and get them fitted. BUT sometimes getting the old bushes out shags the arms anyway...