The mkiv Supra Owners Club

exhaust help!

L33

im looking at putting a new system on my TT but not sure what to do.

been told that the supra has 2 cat converters is this tru and so call the 1st is very restricting?

i know you need a cat for a MOT but does it need both to pass or has people managed with just the one? can any one recommend a sports cat or do most on here just de cat? with my cars in the past ive just de cat'd the car but then it was easy to swap the cat for a MOT!

only had my car a week, got it up on a ramp and noticed its been dented quite a bit on the silencer near the back box from what i gather was speed bumps so it wil need replacing! looks a touch rusty any way and it slightly blowing on one on the joins!

cheers

Yes stock the Supra has 2 cats, the shorter first cat is the most restrictive of the 2. You should be able to pass the MOT with just the second cat fitted.

Have a read on this -> BPU

image image

I will send you prices for new exhaust options.

L33, I have some CW decat pipes for my JDM TT mated to a SuperDrager Exhaust system. I have to put BOTH cats back in come MOT time as the exhaust wont mate up properly if I leave the 1st decat pipe in and just try to use the 2nd CAT.

Im sure this issue will vary from exhaust to exhaust, as there are plenty of people on here with CW decat pipes that have no issues just swapping the 2nd decat with the 2nd CAT come MOT time.

Just thought I'd share my experience :)

It wasnt the spigot that was the problem Chris, there was absolutely no chance of getting the end of the 1st Decat near the start of the 2nd CAT, no matter how much swearing, pushing or pulling.

I think the location of the 'hooks' on my exhaust system restricts the amount of movement, making it impossible to mate the CAT to the Decat pipe.

Is that with a SuperDragerI exhaust Homer?

Edit:

Im decatting soon now the weather is getting better so I'll try to remember to take some pics.

They were with an RSR, Boostlogic, Veilside TI and the other I don't remember (Could have been a DragerII). As you say it might just be the position of the cat back pulling the cat to a bad position... When working on exhausts in the past I install the 1st cat pipe then 2nd cat/decat, then finally allign the cat back around the position of the 2nd pipe. Some need a bit of work to get right!

• 3 weeks later...

hi there everyone, i have a question, my JDM TT still has its standard exhaust, to be honest prefer to keep car standard in a way, but took a look at the exhaust on my car the other day and well its looking OLD,very dark rust colour, not blowing mind, got to be same one from factory, wondering about the BPU thing and exhausts, as long as i keep the cats on the car will it matter what exhaust i put on cat back as am not looking to increase power at this time. will i have to use restrictor rings and other bits by just replacing cat back, sorry if it seems like a daft question but i want to be sure, new to the supra, owned an s14a for the last 4years.

hi there everyone, i have a question, my JDM TT still has its standard exhaust, to be honest prefer to keep car standard in a way, but took a look at the exhaust on my car the other day and well its looking OLD,very dark rust colour, not blowing mind, got to be same one from factory, wondering about the BPU thing and exhausts, as long as i keep the cats on the car will it matter what exhaust i put on cat back as am not looking to increase power at this time. will i have to use restrictor rings and other bits by just replacing cat back, sorry if it seems like a daft question but i want to be sure, new to the supra, owned an s14a for the last 4years.

So you still have both cats fitted and standard exhaust and you are wanting to fit a new cat back exhaust?

Any cat back exhaust for the JZA80 Supra will fit, you only need to fit a restrictor ring if you are removing the cats, if you are keeping the cats on you will not need one.

I can do good deals on most Japanese branded exhausts, if you'd like prices just let me know.

ok mate thanks for the help, i thought it was as you say, there is one ive seen that i fancy but i dont want any thing really loud or even loud to be honest,pissed my neighbours for years dont fancy doing it again, string me up next time most prob, besides its nice just to hear the jz80 growl when you floor it. i fitted my nissan out with a straight thru no cats fujisubo from jp and that would wake the dead up no prob, what do you think of blitz realize ttr, thanks