PDA

View Full Version : Rain-X, are they all the same



Steve Cargill
25-11-03, 23:43
A couple of years ago I used the Turtle Wax version of Rain-X and was impressed with it.

I need to get some more now and was wondering if anyone knew if they are all about the same performance wise or if there are bad ones and good ones?

SkyJawa
26-11-03, 01:00
Tried a couple myself but thought Rain-X worked best :)

Patrick_Devlin
26-11-03, 08:38
Love Rain-X, rather useful at the moment! :)

V
26-11-03, 08:51
only ever used rain-x & love it.

Just come back from america & they sell the yellow bottles for under 2 over there:eek: .

They also had rain-x wiper blades which i havnet seen over here & wet wipes - they get all the fun :)

Regards
Stephen V

michael
26-11-03, 08:58
I've used Rain-X and the one in the pink bottle that looks like a dildo (Rain Wizard?) - Rain-X is much better and lasts a lot longer, I didn't reckon much to the Rain-X screenwash though.

I haven't done the Supra with it yet, thanks for reminding me!

It's a lot cheaper if you buy it at shows - I got 2 huge bottles of Rain-X at the Motorshow a few years back and I think they cost me 7.99 for the pair, Costco also do it at a good price but it's bundled with the screenwash I think?

V
26-11-03, 09:02
I like the screen stuff.
Its not a screen wash though, just a top up for the main rain-x.
I still use screen as well which works well.

Regards
Stephen

Supraguy
26-11-03, 09:43
I used Rain-X once back in the US. Dosent it make your windows streaky as hell at night with the wipers on? I found it unbearable and swore I would never use it again. You guys dont have this problem??

V
26-11-03, 13:14
Originally posted by Supraguy
I used Rain-X once back in the US. Dosent it make your windows streaky as hell at night with the wipers on? I found it unbearable and swore I would never use it again. You guys dont have this problem??

Not really.
it does leave a very short trace behind, but then you dont use the wipers as much/at all + it leaves the screen so much clearer and the dropplets arent very visable, so the pros out way the minor cons IMO.

Can quite happilly drive along at 70 without wipers on.

Regards
Stephen V

Steve Cargill
26-11-03, 17:57
Originally posted by V
Can quite happilly drive along at 70 without wipers on.

That is one of it's better features, no wiper lift at 71MPH.....

I've got some RainX today, 5.10+VAT for the 200ML bottle.

Thanks for the info.

Adam W
26-11-03, 18:02
How often do you guys have to reapply it? I used to use it but found it worked great for a week, then it started to get crap really quickly! I got fed up with having to reapply it every two weeks, especially as you can't do so unless the screen is dry (not very likely in the "rainy season").

V
26-11-03, 18:13
Originally posted by Adam W
How often do you guys have to reapply it? I used to use it but found it worked great for a week, then it started to get crap really quickly! I got fed up with having to reapply it every two weeks, especially as you can't do so unless the screen is dry (not very likely in the "rainy season").

I know what you mean. i was at my Shell garage last night with a towel trying to dry my wind screen :baa: (i've spent enough money with them so i thought its the least they can do:) - felt a bit geeky though :blink:

I use the pink top up stuff and it now lasts for ages/months. No probes at all.

Regards
Stephen V

peter richards
26-11-03, 20:17
hi guys i got some of the anti mist rain x, totaly useless difficult to apply , even harder to get off , havnt tried the stuff for extereor .
cheers peter . :baa:

Steve Cargill
26-11-03, 20:45
Adam - I used to have to do the Turtle Wax version every couple of weeks. Whe it started to go it got really foggy. It was also a PITA to clean off, you had to do a PROPER windscreen clean.

Peter - Just leave the AC on all the time and you'll never mist up again. Many people have the misconception that AC is just for hot summer days - Wrong. (sorry, just re-read that and it sounds a bit harsh, not meant to be)

peter richards
26-11-03, 23:06
ok steve , i thaught i might have had an air con prob this year , gas is ok ive had it checked , but it makes a noise when on .
but yes i do use it foe demisting and then turns it off , because im not sure if its got a problem .
cheers peter .

mawby
26-11-03, 23:18
Originally posted by peter richards
hi guys i got some of the anti mist rain x, totaly useless difficult to apply , even harder to get off , havnt tried the stuff for extereor .
cheers peter . :baa: You're not wrong there. I got this stuff specifically because I knew how good the Rain Off stuff is supposed to be, but I've only used it once and I'm not impressed. It went on fine, but left a haze on the screen that I just can't get rid of. Every time I rub a cloth over it to try and clean it off it just gets worse, and if that isn't bad enough this haze becomes a real hazzard when a light is on it as it becomes really difficult to see through. I'm just hopeing it's dry this weekend so I can take some glass cleaner to it and get it off. :mad:

Rob
27-11-03, 02:58
PIAA wipers, mateys.

You can switch them off above 70mph in really heavy rain, I swear by them.

mawby
27-11-03, 08:17
Originally posted by Rob
PIAA wipers, mateys.

You can switch them off above 70mph in really heavy rain, I swear by them.
Yep, I have to agree again. I also use these and they do the job nicely. Mind you, given the price they should be bloody good. PIAA Wipers (http://www.a-pp.com/shop/PIAA_Wipers.htm)

michael
27-11-03, 08:23
Originally posted by mawby
Yep, I have to agree again. I also use these and they do the job nicely. Mind you, given the price they should be bloody good. PIAA Wipers (http://www.a-pp.com/shop/PIAA_Wipers.htm)

Still a lot cheaper than Toyota ones though, I know what to try next!

V
27-11-03, 08:52
I agree with the anit fog stuff (black bottel?) its total cr@p. I used the 'Holts' anti-mist it it works great, but prefer the air-con to do its job.

I brought back some 'Tripleedge Silicone' blades for $6 each = 3.60 and they were supposed to be expensive ones. Very impressed indeed.

Will stick with silicone from now on. Squeeked for a few minutes when i first put them on & when dry but now perfect.

Much better than the organic rubber.

Regards
Stephen V

Steve Cargill
27-11-03, 10:10
Originally posted by mcanny
Still a lot cheaper than Toyota ones though, I know what to try next!

I got just the rubbers from my local Toyota dealer and they were about 5 each I think.

michael
27-11-03, 12:14
Originally posted by Steve Cargill
I got just the rubbers from my local Toyota dealer and they were about 5 each I think.


That's what I used to do too - I just bought new ones when I got the Supra because the actual frames and spoiler were a bit tatty, cost me about 50 for the pair I think, they wanted 12 for the rear one too if I remember correctly.

peter richards
27-11-03, 21:04
hi guys , well described mawby, i still havnt got it all off , bottom of the screen on the driver side , tough to get your hand in .
i thought i might have applied it incorrectly ,but dont think ill have another go .
should re name it sex x. gives the glass that we are in the car have steamy sex look . lol.:p :p :baa:

mawby
27-11-03, 22:32
Originally posted by peter richards
should re name it sex x. gives the glass that we are in the car have steamy sex look . lol. Actually I think your description easily beats mine! :sex:

peter richards
27-11-03, 22:42
:cool: :p