The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Shiny new Koyo Rad

Mike M

Hi all,

My old rad split on the usual place last week so fitted a Koyo alluminium rad. Its a stunning piece of kit so thought I'd share some pics and the installation. So here goes:)

One knackered rad with dodgy failed RTV bodge:D

Fan removed to allow the whole assembly to lift out. Fan and temp sensor connectors unplugged and rad drain plug opened.

Rad now lifted out and loads of leaves and crap dropped out.

Carefully unpack shiny new Rad and admire whilst scratching nuts.

Have to say that everything swapped over and fitted great apart from one clip that needed trimming.

This clip here used to hook around the old rad.

Fitting was slightly more awkward due to the depth of the Koyo so had to remove the battery and tray but otherwise no probs. Gave me an excuse to clean up round there anyway.

Big thanks to Paul Whiffin getting the rad out to me super quick as I was stuck without the car Cheers mate;).

Nine Litres of coolant the thing swallowed up LOL, spent ages squeezing that top hose getting the air out.

Also had a little weep out the top hose but managed to move the clip and seems to have stopped. Tbh the hose has seen better days too.

Another thing these rads use the mkIII supra pressure caps in case you dont know.

Cheers for having a nosey:)

Mike

nice radiator mate, looks well sweet :)

Waiting on my fan shroud to arrive and then im fitting my new radiator. Not looking

forward to taking of the front bumper as i havent got a clue how :(

You got some advice for me mate ?

No no, you wont need to remove the front bumper. Remove viscous fan, drain rad, disconnect temp sensor and electric fan harnesses, disconnect hoses, remove the two black top clamps on the rad and lift the whole lot straight out.

Fairly easy just a bit awkward getting to the four nuts holding on the viscous fan and not dropping them.

Oooh shiny :D

I had similar issues with the Fluidyne having to trim the shroud a little in order to make it fit... despite everyone saying it's "as stock fitment" things rarely are in my experience ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=83646

Thats a great right up mate liked the powerade tip, I had to cut a bottle of coke in half and tape it on.:D

I really want to get my airbox trim back on but the rads too wide so may have to do some fettling to the trim. Needs to stop snowing and being cold outside first so I can get interested.:(

Thats a great right up mate liked the powerade tip, I had to cut a bottle of coke in half and tape it on.:D

Cheers :)

I did say to Ian C that he's free to poach it for the tech reference section but it appears not. So I just keep posting it whenever I see someone asking about changing the rad. People should find it easy enough.