The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brakes for track days

Pig

Last year at Marham i was running stock disks and uk brakes with chris wilson fast road pads (which are excelent for the road).

I had really bad issues with brake fade, so much so i had to keep holding back on the straights.

What would you do? Please take into account the car has done over 100K and im running stock 17's and do not want to change the wheels.

Thanks

Jon

This is a bit worrying.:shock:

I'm in the process of changing to a brand new, completely stock, UK set-up (incl a fluid change, of course).

Please don't tell me it's not going to hold up to a few track days and the Ring in April.:search:

I think it will just fine with the right brake pads, this is why i wanted to know on fluid and brake condition on Pig's setup

good fluid and pads will make the difference, i would prefer uks with good pads, fluid, and pads against a 6 or 8 pot cheap setup;) mine never gave me concerns at marham last year, and will be changing the fluid before this one

This is a bit worrying.:shock:

I'm in the process of changing to a brand new, completely stock, UK set-up (incl a fluid change, of course).

Please don't tell me it's not going to hold up to a few track days and the Ring in April.:search:

You shouldn't have a problem on a stock UK spec setup at the Ring.

brake fade as in what sense........ pressing the pedal and it feeling very soft...... or pressing the pedal and it feeling normal but the car not braking as hard ??

first case is a fluid change to a higher operating temperature fluid.

second case is pads overheating.

I think it will just fine with the right brake pads, this is why i wanted to know on fluid and brake condition on Pig's setup

You shouldn't have a problem on a stock UK spec setup at the Ring.

Thanks, I feel a little less 'exposed' now.:)

When I say stock I'm talking pads too. I've only done 2 laps of the Ring, so not experienced enough to be really moving.

brake fade as in what sense........ pressing the pedal and it feeling very soft...... or pressing the pedal and it feeling normal but the car not braking as hard ??

first case is a fluid change to a higher operating temperature fluid.

second case is pads overheating.

IIRC the brake pedal felt fine but there was a very limited braking. I was standing on the brakes as hard as i could but the buggar wouldnt stop.

I would suggest i had over heated the brakes. I dont totally understand what the difference with the fluid is.

IMO you need a top track type brake pad............CW RACE ones, Endless, carbotech etc........

A fluid change will be helpful for when you do get this type of pad but i don't think it will help you much on its own.

Have you / anyone used racing pads with stock discks?

Out of interest do you have an aftermarket front bumper and side skirts? Was just wondering if it was a ducting issue.

I've got UK's all round, stock discs, Endless CCX pads and dot 5.1 fluid with goodridge lines- great for road and track braking, including 3 full laps (4.5 miles each) of Brunters with a 2 mile straight. Was also fine at Abingdon for 20 laps with a 0.5 mile straight. Need bedding in and to go through a heat cycle though.

i have chris's race spec pads for everyday use with stock disks, and when i went to Brands........they are dusty and can squeal a bit but i really rate them.........

Prehaps thats my answer. Do you know how much they are?