The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cam belt kit

miles

Hi guys, well i went to go and look at a supra yesterday and ive put a deposit down on it so hopefully going up on wednesday/thursday to go and collect it. the guy said the garage he bought it from said the cambelt had been changed but cant prove it so i want to get it done just to make sure.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting everything i need (cam belt, tensioners etc) and also give me an idea on price?

thanks guys

miles

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=141

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=84

These guys are close mate.

Envy do everything you need too.

May as well service it so try Oilmans site Opie Oils for your fluids. He does great discount for members too.

Why not post details up of where you're buying from, maybe someone here knows the car. :)

Whilst i would not try and deter you from carrying out service work on the new purchase, i would just say that the failing of a cambelt (which btw is almost unheard of) will not cause the engine to be damaged.

I know its peace of mind but choose the wrong garage and you could have more future problems than if you just left it alone.

Glad you liked the car, and hope this helps you relax about the pre cambelt change driving. Pick it up and enjoy it :)

so would you guys say its worth getting changed or not? the guy lives in new romney south kent, think his names mike, nice guy. I believ he is a member on here but doenst come on here very much. Its a red facelift supe with standard 16s on it and a extra lip on the rear bumper.

Anyone seen it or heard about it?

personally i'd visually inspect the belt (this is simple to do) drive it for a week or two and see if all is 100% generally, ie do i need to spend money elsewhere first.

Then as its a facelift and presumably not very high mileage, i'd be inclined to replace just the belt unless the tensioner or idler wheels are really shot (and they are unlikely to be on sub 100K milers IMO), which for example Matt (Mufflemans) garage should be able to honestly assess.

Some will say you should just get it done, and thats fair enough, the above is just what i would do.

so would you guys say its worth getting changed or not? the guy lives in new romney south kent, think his names mike, nice guy. I believ he is a member on here but doenst come on here very much. Its a red facelift supe with standard 16s on it and a extra lip on the rear bumper.

Anyone seen it or heard about it?

miles get some pics of your new car up:D

thanks bmx1lew be cool if you could tell me where to get it from im going to do a little price up to see how much itl set me back if i decide to get it done, my friend had his done and the labour rate seemed fairly good so i will see what the total is and also have a look at the belt as scooter suggests and see if its ok to leave. Be good if it doesnt need doing as it can go towards my insurance then i can get it all cleaned up :)

thanks for the replys guys.

I'll get some pics up once ive picked it up just incase something happens and i cant get it?(worrying for no reason lol) and the pics ive got have all come up pink for some reason even though there red on my mates phone. I will get some up as soon as ive picked it up and cleaned it :)

cant waitttttt!!!!!

I can get the full kit for £82 i will find you what make it is, same company who pretty much makes most of them, kit contains cambelt tensioners and aux belt.

So you're talking about pattern parts not original Toyota? It is a very sad day on here when pattern parts are being recommended for a cam belt change for the sake of saving a few £'s.

pattern parts dont know what that means, but most cabelts are usually made by other companies, to say toyota oem doesnt meab its better then other standard belts.

Pattern parts; non-genuine, copies of original manufacturer parts.

So you know for a fact that these parts are as good as the original Toyota parts?

no but do you?

well my mechanics is a subaru mechanic who use pattern parts and as alot of other mechanic's i know use pattern parts, I ante heard of any cambelts snapping or not been as good as oem, all im saying is there usually the same stuff chucked out the same factory and still manage to do the same job just as good as oem, i have no proof but im sure it's not a high risk factor.

Lew.

Do I what?

"So you know for a fact that these parts are as good as the original Toyota parts?" that toyota oem are better or pattern ones are not as good?

well i guess if you feel it makes a difference, I'm just saying it doesnt always have to be oem to be the best even tho it is recomended by others, I'm not disputing any facts or wheres best to spend the money or what is best, i know that there is mechanics and others using pattern parts even on high hp engines and there doing just as good, i guess its like every thing else though, down to personal prefernace, your pocket, take blueprint brake pads people will swear that they suck, i found that it was no differnt then my oem ones, and like some people swear you should go for enless or other top brands i've found that my cheap pattern blueprint pads feel and stop me just as good as my last oem pads, also i know other supra owners using them with no complaints, so pattern parts cant be that bad, but then again who knows.

I think you'll find that if the parts are cheaper, (as in general, copied parts are) they will be cheaper for a reason. (be it labour or material costs) As this reason is generally unknown, for a few quid here and there you'd feel better buying the genuine parts. :)

I must admit, and this isn't pointed at anyone in particular - I really do hate it when people buy a good quality car and then skrimp and cut corners at every opportunity. This can turn out MORE costly in the long run.

It's like putting 95ron fuel in a Supra... damn silly! lol

well i guess if you feel it makes a difference, I'm just saying it doesnt always have to be oem to be the best even tho it is recomended by others, I'm not disputing any facts or wheres best to spend the money or what is best, i know that there is mechanics and others using pattern parts even on high hp engines and there doing just as good, i guess its like every thing else, take blueprint brake pads people will swear that they suck, i found that it was no differnt then my oem ones, and like some people swear you should go for enless or other top brands i've found that my cheap pattern blueprint pads feel and stop me just as good as my last oem pads.

The point is, you don't know if they are as good as OEM parts or not, yet you are recommending them to a new member.

They *may* be as good as OEM Toyota parts, they *may* come from the same Japanese manufacturer, then again they may not.

The price you quoted is around £10 less than original Toyota parts, is it really worth taking the chance for the sake of saving a few £'s.

well sorry if me recomending pattern parts to new people is bad, stick with oem ones if its only £10 more last time i seen a set for sale on here it was £175?

for the newbies all i can say is im happy with mine and im sure others who use them are aswell, seems to be ok so far, but as nic said it may not bee as good so for your own security stick with oem.

Lew.

I'll get some pics up once ive picked it up just incase something happens and i cant get it?(worrying for no reason lol) and the pics ive got have all come up pink for some reason even though there red on my mates phone. I will get some up as soon as ive picked it up and cleaned it :)

cant waitttttt!!!!!

when are you picking her up mate, i work in romney:D