The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol Tank Help Please

Guest coldflame

Guest coldflame

Had a guy fitting my do-luck body kit today and while fitting the rear bumper there are 3 hole on the defuse to pin it to the underside of the car so he drilled a hole for a self tapping screw and went str8 into the petrol tank its a hole about 2mm is there anything i can do to fix or just sumet to get me by till i can get another tank

thanks in advance for any help

Guest coldflame

that what im gonna do b ut i cant get hold of 1 till after the bank holiday and im ment to be got to york on monday would the silicone last till the or would the pressure shoot it out

Had a guy fitting my do-luck body kit today and while fitting the rear bumper there are 3 hole on the defuse to pin it to the underside of the car so he drilled a hole for a self tapping screw and went str8 into the petrol tank its a hole about 2mm is there anything i can do to fix or just sumet to get me by till i can get another tank

thanks in advance for any help

Self tapping flat headed screw with an 'o' ring should get you by I would have thought. Not pretty by any means but should do.

cheers mike if i used a plastic screw would it be safe to melt the screw head with a souldering iron do you think

don't think you will get it hot enough to melt the tank plastic mate you would be best off getting a bigger screw and heating-it up with a blowtorch then screwing it in this way it will fuse with the plastic as you screw it in and seal the hole :)

Guest Piston_Broke
heating-it up with a blowtorch then screwing it in this way it will fuse with the plastic as you screw it in and seal the hole :)

Be carefull you dont ignite the vapours !!!

Have you considered a plastic welding kit , the type used to repair bumpers etc . They work by melting in a compatible peice of plastic to that which your tank is made from ....might be worth taking it to a bodyshop that has the kit and seeing what they can do .

Guest Piston_Broke
do you know of antwhere i can buy a plactic welding kit from

You could buy cheap kit from halfords or similar but i doubt it would be man enough for a permanent repair ....the heavy duty kit used by bodyshops would be my 1st choice and as it will hopefully be a once only use its cheaper to get them to do it , i persume your going to pass the repair costs on to the guy fitting the kit ?

The bodyshop may insist that the tank is removed and the fumes evacuated before any heat source is applied , either way i,d take it to a pro as the cost of a poor repair doesn,t bear thinking about :flame:;)

Guest coldflame

to say its a genuine do-luck kit i think the fit is quite poor actuly he has had to cut at least 3inches from the front so it fitted with my fmic and remove the rear crash bar so it would fit and then when he tighned the bolts up it crack one side so he had to rapair that and the skirts are 1 inch to long so there is a over hang at the front fenders