The mkiv Supra Owners Club

service history

miles

hi guys, quick question.

im looking at a supra tommorow, ive spoken to the guy on the phone and have asked all the usual questions about the car. He has told me that the car doesnt have any service history as it was only imported last year? he says the garage he bought it off said that the cam belt was changed but doesnt have any proof. Sounds like a silly question but how put off would you guys be because of the lack of service history? he said it is the vvti engine aswell, does that mean it would be a facelift model i would show you the link but its not on autotrader anymore?

thanks guys

Yeah VVTi would be facelift. Best option would be to fully inspect the car before purchasing, if you don't feel confident doing this ask someone who can. Service history is good, however isn't everything, as it can be very easy to make up.

Obviously you can only check visible things, and I wouldn't take the sellers word about anything that has been done, as they cannot verify this.

Is it a twin turbo or is it normally aspirated?

The twin turbo VVTI was introduced in Sept 97.

Facelift Supra's from May 96.

The TT VVTI is a non-interference engine which means that if the timing belt snaps then the valves won't hit the pistons, so you haven't got to worry as much as you normally would.

I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of service history, I think that the general condition of the car is a good indicator of whether or not it's been looked after.

As far as I'm aware you cannot import a TT Supra which is less than 10 years old.

its a N/A i was looking at the ad the other day with a friend of mine who is on here also and he mentioned that it had facelift rear lights and indicators etc and the guy said that it had the vvti engine so im guessing that it is a 96 as i dont remember the reg being newer than that. im going with two mates who know a bit about supes so hopefully i will be ok. the guy mentioned it has a 6-2-1 mani on it so no cats i think, how much am i looking to get a standard setup again so it will get through the mot when it comes to it? or will it get through without?

thanks

miles

miles where is this supra and where are you and what time are you going to see it..............

Your in Surrey if you are interested you could always meet me and i'll show you round mine (facelift 98 NA) and point out a few things that you should look for/at on the other one.........

BTW i think he's BS'ing re the VVTi

im based right next to gatwick airport the car im going to look at is near romney(i think thats what its called) near folkestone. Going to be leaving at about 9am to try and get there at 10.30?im confused about the vvti thing now as i read the model diff chart and it looked like there are facelift j spec vvtis but then i was searching "VVTI" and came across a thread that said vvti n/a s rhd do not exist? so could this car be a vvti or not? im not fussed either way but id rather i wasnt being told porkies by the guy?

thanks for the offer but dont think id can make it before i go to look at it? where abouts are you based?

cheers guys