The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I reversed into someone!

keancy

Yesterday afternoon after a great run in the Supra I was 2 minutes from home and bloody reversed into a Woman behind me.

I was going down the Hill near my place and a car comes from front (to tight to pass two cars) so I stick it into reverse look back and see another car behind me, she starts reversing too and after going back what both of us saw as a big enough gap for the car in front we both stopped. The other Woman coming up the hill went into the gap we created so badly that I still couldn't pass :blink:. So I slap it back into reverse and start going backwards slowly only the other woman didn't have the same idea behind me and I ever so slightly nudged her with my rear.

Only problem was my Exhaust was red hot after the run I just had and cut into her front bumper (plastic) like it was made of butter. :(

I thought ah fu** as it always sounds bad when you hit something, got out and nothing not even a faint scratch on the Supra :D (lucky me).

But this is what I did to her bumper.

Her car is Vauxhaul Zafira 08 with the bumper being the whole front section :(.

What do people think can the gash which is about 2 inches be mended or will I have to fork out for a complete bumper, how much are they??

Haven't involved my Insurance at this point.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a b*mmer. I would think the other woman will take advice from her insurers, and they might push for getting a new bumper. I doubt she'll settle for it being filled.

If the tables were turned, I can't see many members on here settling for body panel being filled if it happened to them. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Bumpers are funny things. My girlfriend recently had a crawling-speed "accident" with a concrete post (not in the supe though :D). The bumper looked fine, but it turns out the bracket underneath has been sheared off in the impact. Bumpers these days have polystyrene filling I think, and if that's damaged, it *could* in theory lessen the bumper's ability to absorb future impacts.

If she's happy to keep the insurers out of it, then by all means suggest that it's just filled. I wouldn't build your hopes up though.

Edit: body parts are seriously expensive these days. If I had to guess, £1k by the time it's sprayed.

At least it was her car that was damaged and not yours. ;)

I would say it is definitely repairable, but if someone did the same to me (even if it was a Renault) I'd be demanding a new, colour matched bumper. Sorry - no idea on price.

Well yeah I guess I would be the same but who knows. :(

Depending on how much it is I might involve Insurance but I have about a £350 excess :(

Looks pererble to me. Is it just melting damage, or has it snapped? If just melting and she's not an arse you could get away with just having the bumper re-sprayed. Best bet is to pander to her really if you want to avoid huge costs and involving insurance.

It's not snapped just a straight in melt. Texted her this morning to find out if she had done anything yet, no reply :(

Garage she is taking it to I have spoken to and they will inform me if she shows up.

We have 'special' lanes here to contain these type of problems ;) Just kidding been there done that, bad luck :(

http://www.roflgirls.com/images/girls/funny-pictures-women-driver.jpg

:protest: LOL

exactly the same happenned to me about a month ago, decided not to go through insurance as it would have meant i couldnt afford to run my car! (premium going up) so in total i got a bumper off ebay and got it all done privately for about £300, less than my excess! hunt around and try and get it done on your terms, might not be possible but give it a shot! hope all works out!

Im shocked how much heat was in your exhaust tip.....you must of been ragging it!

they get really hot, one day when I went over to my sisters her kid stuck his hand down my exhaust pipe to get something out of it (think it was a stupid wee ball or something), was convinced he was about to destroy his hand

Im shocked how much heat was in your exhaust tip.....you must of been ragging it!

Well I had just come back from a full on 35 minute drive and yeah it was a good drive, if you catch my drift. It was plenty hot cause when I touched it to take some of the melted plastic off I burned my hand.

exactly the same happened to me about a month ago, decided not to go through insurance as it would have meant I couldn't afford to run my car! (premium going up) so in total I got a bumper off ebay and got it all done privately for about £300, less than my excess! hunt around and try and get it done on your terms, might not be possible but give it a shot! hope all works out!

The place she is taking it to is the same place who repaired my damage in December and raised it by an inch. So I know the place. I have spoken to them and they told me if it is only a melt not a proper split (which it isn't) it's repairable no probs. I also asked them to try and push on repair rather then advise her on a new bumper if possible. Trying to keep this as cheap as poss, but we will see. Though it looks like I may miss out on our meet next month now depending how much this will cost. :(

Nightmare I know how you feel though. One of my supe's has a fully blacked out window and I can't see bugger all through the back of it. This is when you realise how many blind spots the wing mirrors have

My windows are blacked out too aswell as the great big spoiler I got sat on the back not much vision at all. I did reverse with my head out the window, but I had briefly looked forward again to see if there was now enough room for the other car. In that moment the lady behind me had stopped and I didn't realise. As I said the impact was totally minimal hence why no damage to the Supe at all. Thank god.

I used to work at Renault, and they do that whole bumper thing to reduce costs in low speed accidents (though i bet they dont anticipate hot exhausts cutting into things :p )

Shouldnt cost much for it, so why not ask her to price up a bumper and paint (although some are supplied painted) and see what it will be. if its more than your excess then go through the insurance (assuming you are on low NCB)

I used to work at Renault, and they do that whole bumper thing to reduce costs in low speed accidents (though i bet they dont anticipate hot exhausts cutting into things :p )

Shouldnt cost much for it, so why not ask her to price up a bumper and paint (although some are supplied painted) and see what it will be. if its more than your excess then go through the insurance (assuming you are on low NCB)

Well that's what I shall be doing once I know the score, if above £350 (god forbid) then insurance else I be paying :(

I am on full ncb by the way as I am an old fart. ;)

Well that's what I shall be doing once I know the score, if above £350 (god forbid) then insurance else I be paying :(

I am on full ncb by the way as I am an old fart. ;)

i'm on full ncb and i'm 24, does that mean i'm a old fart to? or does that mean this isn't your "first" bump:p

to be fair that does look repairable, seen worse filled and sprayed

I think you are looking about £600 to replace bumper + hire car time :( (assuming they get it replaced)

Thanks lol you have just made my day :(:(

i'm on full ncb and i'm 24, does that mean i'm a old fart to? or does that mean this isn't your "first" bump:p

to be fair that does look repairable, seen worse filled and sprayed

No that's my first one belive it or not. Only other one I ever had was someone crashing into me 14 years ago.