The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel Alignment

nickball75

Hey there,

Quick question. Im currently running on 19" alloys, at about 80mph the steering wheel starts to judder but really goes for it at about 100mph. Dont know if car has had alignment since wheels being fitted.

do you think this is just a case of balancing, ir should I go straight for a full wheel alignment.

Any idea of cost? any reccomendations in the oxfordshire area?

Cheers peeps

Nick

The 19"s will tramline and will not give you the best in the way of handling but will not cause a judder unless a wheel is poorly balanced, buckled or the geo is out

A balance will cost very little and would be my first choice, this will also spot a buckled wheel, then if all is ok with this a geo check would be worth while, I would do it anyway as a poor set up will give uneven tyre wear and with 19"s and good rubber that can be expensive and false economy to ignore :)

Thanks, think ill shove it in for balancing first. If that sorts i out then I can get the geo done later on. Thanks for advice.

novice question:- Tramlining???

Best way to describe this is the feeling you are on rails, the car follows contours in the road, for example the inside lane of a motorway that has the grooves from constant truck use, the car follows these grooved and you have to steer out of them or you just follow them, not dangerous but very annoying

Guest Piston_Broke

Besides whats been mentioned have you check for excessive movement in the suspesion components ?

Have the wheels got the correct spigot size ( or do they have the correct spigot rings fitted ) as this will also give you the symptoms you describe .

The spigot is the flange on the center of the hub that mates up with the hole in centre of the wheel .

In Oxon try Kidlington Tyres and Exhausts. They do all my Supra tyres and wheel balancing and alignments and really know their stuff. Reasonable prices (compared to Just Tyres in Buckingham anyway), quick service and they'll probably pick up any other issues that need attention if you ask them to check wheel related things!