The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spark Plug Respray (Pics Inside)

fri3ndly

I have sprayed it now and thought I would post a few pics up.

It looks really good, but the only downside is I managed to paint all of the letters in silver enamel paint, but where I lacquered it all over it has split the paint on the letters.

Not sure whether to risk going over the letters again or just leave it.

Heres some pics I took, bad quality as taken with phone...

attachment.php?attachmentid=72556&stc=1&d=1205872238

attachment.php?attachmentid=72557&stc=1&d=1205872238

attachment.php?attachmentid=72558&stc=1&d=1205872238

attachment.php?attachmentid=72559&stc=1&d=1205872238

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Wow looks good, only thing id worry about it the letters etc... what sort of paint did you use... as it will be under alot of heat

Good job

Thanks

I was concerned about the type of spray to use but after reading guides on how to do it and looking in other peoples garages it seemed fine to use my paint of choice.

Halfords Grey Primer

Halfords Vauxhall Arden Blue Paint

Halfords Clear Lacquer

The letters are so hard to do, I had the thinnest paintbrush in existance from Hobbycraft. I managed to do the 2JZ-GTE part thought which most others havent ;)

:D

I must say i am drawn to it... dont think i would want to spray over the letters to then paint them with a small brush tho. must have taken ages lol. uv done a good job on yours... i may not be so good

I wanted to cover them up originally. That would have meant masking taping everyone one of them and cutting around each letter. This may then ofcourse move when spraying.

I figured just spray over and paint the letters afterwards as that is what the guy's guide I was following did. I didnt have a very steady hand at first but after a while its OK.

I recommend it though, I thought it was fun, now I am looking for other parts to spray :rolleyes:

nice work, shame about the letters - for the effort involved surely it's worth another try (perhaps after fitting it for a few hundred miles to check no heat 'issues'?)

Im not driving it until the weekend so I am considering giving them another go. Another layer of enamel on top will probably sort it out. It doesnt look too bad, infact it looks OK....a kind of embossed look lol

What did you prep the surface with? Or did you just spray it?

looks good.

I gave it a wash with fairly liquid, dryed it and gave it a quick sand with wet sandpaper then primered it.

Engine bay is starting to pick up now...

Heres some pics of it all done:

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=10781&d=1206003470

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=10782&d=1206003481