The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car tax confirmation

keener

I've been reading lots about the new road tax rules that came in with the new budget and was a bit confused about the specifics for my vehicle.

Last year I imported a '97 Supra TT (well Jurgen did for me!) and I read that the new car tax rules apply for cars registered with DVLA since 2001. Clearly mine was registered in 2007 despite being 10 years old so I thought I'd be hit with the new rules putting me in the £400 tax bracket (based on emissions).

I thought it was totally daft that my car tax would be more than double the tax paid on exactly the same car if it was first registered in 1997 i.e. if I bought it in the UK.

After getting more and more p1$$ed off and confused about it
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_angry.gif
I've had a chance to call the DVLA who called up my car on their database and they confirmed I would only pay £185 tax after all - phew!

I asked about the whole 'date registered with DVLA' rather than year of manufacture being relevant and they said it was 'whichever is the earlier'.

I hope that's cleared up a few things for anyone having the same doubts as I did.

I asked about the whole 'date registered with DVLA' rather than year of manufacture being relevant and they said it was 'whichever is the earlier'.

Is it possible to register a car before it's manufactured? :blink:

Presumably the year of manufacture would always be the earliest...

When I spoke to DVLA on this issue recently ('93 Supra, first registered in UK in 2002) they said that Road Tax would be based on CO2 emissions only if a figure had been given for CO2 emissions at the time of registration, otherwise the old flat rate would apply. In my case, it was flat rate £180 for 12 months.

It wasn't clear whether, if a CO2 emissions figure was available from the manufacturer, you were required to provide it during the registration process, or if you were allowed to choose not to mention it, but since (I assume) the figure isn't available from Toyota anyway, that question doesn't matter and it's flat rate by default.