The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full Respray or just the bits thats needed

Scott

I'm thinking about taking a big hit over the next year or so and going all out on the bodywork of my car.

I'm planning on:

TRD Spoiler

Veilside Over Fenders

New Bumper (Not sure which)

New Alloys to fit in with Fenders

During which i would need the following work done:

TRD Spoiler Sprayed

Veilside Overfenders Fitted, blended and sprayed

New front bumper fitted and sprayed

Bonnet Smooth & Re-spray

Roof Smooth & Re-spray

Few other scratches and dents removed/sprayed

The main question is should i just go all out and get a full re-spray? I'm just wondering if it would be more cost effective. What sort of budget should i be looking at? I reckon i could probably get the spray done properly for around £2k.

I will need to save up for all this as i don't have a great deal of free cash so i would need to rely on OT etc. Would just really like to know what to aim for.

Basically looking for the info like this if anyone has it. I don't care if the parts are not original but i do want a good fit as i need to keep the labour down to a minimum.

TRD Spoiler - £200

Veilside Over Fenders - £250

Front Bumper - £300

Alloys & Tyres - £1000-£1500

Re-Spray & Blending, Fitting, misc - £2000

Am i close?

Cheers

Get it painted mate... Itll look so much better (If done correctly, if not itll ruin the car :( )

I would love to mate but, i am married and between us we have 3 cars, a mortgage, a couple of loans, a couple of credit cards, bills to pay and a life to live all on a modest income.

If i won the lottery i wouldn't be thinking twice. When i do spend money on my car i have to make sure i'm doing the right thing iyswim.

I also need to know approx what its going to cost so that i can start saving while knowing what to aim for. I also don't want to go down the loan route to work on my car. Buying a car with a loan is bad enough for me.

Scott =op

If you're willing to travel I'd highly recommend CRC Bodyworks in Fife, I got mine reprayed there and it was a lot more work as it was a colour change (Red to Audi brilliant black), skirts and spats fixed. Also some panel alignment as my Supra was accident damaged. Was under 2k inc all the prep work, they did a great job.

Give me a minute and I'll dig out the thread with the pics.

TBH distance really doesn't bother me as long as the quality is worth it :D

Thanks very much for the info, i'll get a look at the pics when i get home (most photo sites are banned in my work)

I do have 1 guy local to me that is held in very high regard but of course, its going to cost me lol.

Scott =op

Would alloys and tyres to fit the overfenders not be a lot more than £1500?

No idea, thats why i'm asking lol

Saw cracking 19's on ebay for under 1k with tyres. The correct offset for the sup at the moment. I'm pretty sure i would need at least 10" at the back though lol.

Also i don't mind buying 2nd hand alloys.

Scott =op

I hardly have a penny at the moment but thanks for the offer.

I also have UK brakes anyway (facelift)

I'm pretty sure 10" will be fine with the correct offset. Looks like the veilsides will make each side about 1-1.5" wider. The correct offset and wider tyres should deal with that @ 10". I know 12" would be ideal but thats into scary money, you can buy an N/A for the price of those wheels ;)

Cheers

Scott =op

I understand the need for the 10" due to cost e.t.c but remember that type of setup will comprimise handling, its almost the equivalent of putting spacers on the car because the wheels(and contact patch of the tyre) have been moved futher from the centre of the car

Ofcourse there are mods you can do to offset this but it would be costly, if your going 19"route though, that shouldnt really matter as that will throw everything off, but as long as you dont intend tracking the car you should be fine.

I understand the need for the 10" due to cost e.t.c but remember that type of setup will comprimise handling, its almost the equivalent of putting spacers on the car because the wheels(and contact patch of the tyre) have been moved futher from the centre of the car

Ofcourse there are mods you can do to offset this but it would be costly, if your going 19"route though, that shouldnt really matter as that will throw everything off, but as long as you dont intend tracking the car you should be fine.

Car won't be anywhere near a track lol. The only thing i might end up doing 1 day is the quarter mile.

I understand why people say the 19's will compromise handling but thats usually only down to the wrong sidewall size and bad geo. You can, in theory, put 19's on the car and keep the handling the same, i doubt they would fit though as the sidewall would make the rolling rad massive.

I doubt i would notice any difference in handling tbh. Would take someone with a lot of experience driving the supra on the edge with and without the stock setup. I don't ever drive my car THAT hard, especially on corners and public roads.

A lot of people have their cars set up for racing and yet never do. I don't want to go down that route, its a bit of a waste of money IMO.... does look good though :cool:

Scott =op