The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A 5speed or 6speed

Supra ST Myster

I find that the ratio on the 6 speed for 1st and 2nd gear to be too aggressive especially with bigger power, it makes them almost useless in all but the best of conditions, second gear needed to be a bit 'longer', the 5 speed has a 'longer' second gear, as for motorway driving, point taken but I do feel the 6th gear could have been a bit longer too as the car sees quite high revs at motorway speeds still which has a bit effect of MPG

I find that the ratio on the 6 speed for 1st and 2nd gear to be too aggressive especially with bigger power, it makes them almost useless in all but the best of conditions, second gear needed to be a bit 'longer', the 5 speed has a 'longer' second gear, as for motorway driving, point taken but I do feel the 6th gear could have been a bit longer too as the car sees quite high revs at motorway speeds still which has a bit effect of MPG

What? The 6sp sees high revs too?

H.

What? The 6sp sees high revs too?

H.

I just feel that the 6th gear could have been a real 'motorway' gear and dropped the revs right back to say 2K rather than the 3K you see at 70ish mph, if you take the overdrive on the Camaro for example although a very different car I know the cars sits at 1900rpm in overdrive at 70mph and therefore is much more fuel efficient (maybe 20MPG :D)

I just feel that the 6th gear could have been a real 'motorway' gear and dropped the revs right back to say 2K rather than the 3K you see at 70ish mph, if you take the overdrive on the Camaro for example although a very different car I know the cars sits at 1900rpm in overdrive at 70mph and therefore is much more fuel efficient (maybe 20MPG :D)

Oh right, I just assumed that the 6th gear was an overdrive and therefore motorway driving wouldn't be such a PITA. I don't go that quick on the motorway as I can't stand the engine noise. Looks like the have just divided the 5 gear ratio by 6 then.....:rolleyes:

H.

I have them both. 5 speed is smooth comparing to 6 speed, which is really "clunky". Gears are shorter on 6 speed, but generally you would have to work VERY hard to kill Getrag box. Car is similiar quick on both gearboxes, 6 speed just needs gear changing more often :p

hence the new v161 i suppose:D

IMO Tooquicktostops experiences are highlighted as he had a single (i think) turbo with one of these boxes........which i can totally see how the close ratios would be a problem.....

The 6th gear as said is not a cruising/low motorway revs gear, the setup is designed to maximise the lower power of the NA engine, by having ratios that mean you never drop out of the na's narrower power band.................its a bit of a gimmick too really......

Best thing about 6 speed na's IMO are they are facelift, have a LSD and often larger uk brakes...........

IMO Tooquicktostops experiences are highlighted as he had a single (i think) turbo with one of these boxes........which i can totally see how the close ratios would be a problem.....

The 6th gear as said is not a cruising/low motorway revs gear, the setup is designed to maximise the lower power of the NA engine, by having ratios that mean you never drop out of the na's narrower power band.................its a bit of a gimmick too really......

Best thing about 6 speed na's IMO are they are facelift, have a LSD and often larger uk brakes...........

I was running the Auto box on the single car at first but the Torque destroyed that, I swopped for a 6 speed but had an incorrect diff fitted which saw red line at 90mph in 4th gear :blink:

Got it all sorted now but you are right the six gear is not an 'overdrive' motorway gear