The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clearcoat Help?

Wazz72

When putting on the wet coat on a spoiler I got 2 drips (It was hung vertically to spray). What do you find the best way to remove? Scraping with a razor blade then wet and dry, then polish

you got it mate but i would leave it a week or two before you do this as it will still be to wet to be that hash with it not unless you sprayed it in a oven then baked it?

If the clear has not been done in an oven you might want to be vary wary of the thinners in the coat you apply reacting with the coat on the car.

If you break its "skin" while sanding, this will be a sure thing and nasty things may well happen.

Any time I've had to leave a job till the AM I've just blown the area off with the air line, then applied a "wet coat" to key into the already very soft area, then dusted a few more coats on top. Have to make sure it has flashed very well though.

Another thing to take into account any sanding that you do to a clear coat will show through under the layers you apply next.

Either way, be very wary of thinners reacting with the paint you have on the car already.

Good luck m8.

Done it this morning, mixed the 2k 2:1 with no thinners and some rocket in it. All went well, I got a couple of drips which i'll sand out later on. Resprayed some dsh panels that were done at the same time, and they went like crazy paving on a few of them, dont know why. I cleaned them exactly the same as the others. I'll have to get the sandpaper back out.

Congrats on the clear coat.

Welcome to the world of paint reacting. At least it was just on the dash :p

If that first skin of dry top coat if damaged in any way it can be a real bugger.

One sure fire way of this not happening is to sand them flat again and take off all the paint you applied. Bugger of a job but you will not get a reaction and you can start again.

The other method is to sand it flat leaving all your old paint on, coat it with "Barcoat" then start from scratch. I have had to do this a few times on things that have gone bad. Normally after following other peoples previous spray attempts.

Hope all goes well for the dash though