The mkiv Supra Owners Club

An annoying rattle/knock from passenger door area!

AndrewOW

Ever since we had the strong wind last monday I've noticed a new rattle/knocking sound coming from the passenger 'door' area when I'm driving.

I've checked the aero roof, and its all done up tight. I also took the roof off the other day and had a scoot round town, and the knock is there, but quieter, so I'd imagine that the roof just amplifies the sound.

The door seems solid enough, but I haven't had a chance to get the door card off yet, and I assume that the boot lid is well supported, as the boot rubbers were replaced by the previous owner.

The knocking doesn't happen over all bumps, but every once in a while over 'man-hole' covers etc. It certainly doesn't sound like a broken shock, as the handling is as good as it always is, and the knock doesn't sound 'metallic' enough for it to be something like that.

I'm having to drive with the volume up on the stereo, as the sound is driving me a bit bonkers!

Has anyone got any idea of what it could be? :)

I have tried that as well, and once I get a chance to get the door card off I'll give everything a poke and a shake just to check it as well. Proper work practice adhered to at all times! ;)

It really is a weird sound, as maybe it is a loose mechanism as a result from gusting wind on the window.

Just a note though, that when I wind the window up the first time after winding it down, it closes with a slight 'clunk'. :search:

Well I thought I would bump this, as I've now driven the car with the door open (Gem holding it), and with the roof off. Its not the door or the roof.

The boot does knock a little bit, but this weird sound is definitely coming from the passenger rear seating panel. I've removed the old speakers, as they were disintegrating anyway, but as I still can't get into the area easily, I can't have a good poke about.

The weather hasn't been good enough to get that panel off completely (how easy would that be?), but would anyone have a clue on what it could be? Its infuriating to say the least! :mad: