The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trd Rad Cap! Any Good?

Guest Gaz Shaw

Guest Gaz Shaw

got a trd oil cap and been lookin at a trd radiator cap and it says it helps rad temp it looks the part but does it work? arnt standard ones the same but just not trd on top?:blink:

They are rated to 1.3 bar rather than 0.9 bar.

Increasing pressure in the cooling system increases the boiling point of the coolant. Higher boiling point means that the coolant in the rad is hotter and therefore has a higher differential temperature between that and the air being pulled through it. This in turn means more of the heat is transferred into the air and therefore taken away from the engine.

Guest Gaz Shaw

yeah i give it some ! when ppl try it on LOL

see i ant got a clue so is it a matter of just swapping them around HA when cold i know/ LOL

Guest Gaz Shaw

Ok so i change my coolant and fit this cap!

if i dont push my engine everything will stil be fine ? sorry about this:innocent:

oh also do i need S type or N type on an M plate?

I wouldn't recommend one if you are still using an original stock radiator. The cooling system pressure is raised significantly and in quite a few cars the dreaded hairline cracks have started appearing in the top of the rad a short time after fitting one. This has happened on cars with 10yr+ old radiators.

They're pointless IMO

Guest Gaz Shaw

Hhhmmmm:innocent:

well i dont really need to change my rad cos in not racing or anything or shall i? will it be worth doin and what type is best?:search:

I wouldn't recommend one if you are still using an original stock radiator. The cooling system pressure is raised significantly and in quite a few cars the dreaded hairline cracks have started appearing in the top of the rad a short time after fitting one. This has happened on cars with 10yr+ old radiators.

They're pointless IMO

Very good point. Never thought about the age of most of the rad's.

I think a stock rad would be ok though, would just need to be a newish/good condition one.

Scott =op

They're pointless IMO

:thumbs:

Guest Gaz Shaw

well i think i found a good supra! standard not even air filter has been off! rad looks mint too!

LOL i was only gonna get it to go with my trd oil cap:D

would i benefit from buyin a new rad and this cap?:search:

Quite apart from the rad, which is relatively cheap to replace, increasing the cooling system pressure on an old car with well documented heater matrix failure problems is not wise. Unless you lose coolant to the expansion tank through boiling, which will not happen on the road, with a cooling system in factory stock, good condition, it's a gimmick anyway. Just make a TRD sticker for your stock cap and lie to people about the racing cooling system :)

They're pointless IMO

I wish this tread had been started a couple of weeks ago :(

New TRD rad cap, stock rad, hairline crack to top of rad :(

New rad, fans fitted more expenses :(

Butt a nice shiny new rad when done :)

TRD rad caps should be sold with a warning sticker or the trader selling them warning the buyer he may be on the road to spending even more!