The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question for polish monkeys :)

Harllequin

Hay there guys.

I did Her Who Must Be Obayed's MX5 last week end. Very pleased with the result!

I'm wondering if it would be worth doing the Supra also.

My problem is that its grey and although it looks good when polished and waxed. In the time it takes to have a tin of beer and admire the work it has gone dull already (over exaggerated I know But wth)

The MX5 being red looked awesome and well worth the extra work.

Will the grey be transformed to the same degree. AKA Lots o work = lots of reward. Or just look the same as a normal polish.

Are there some colours that are just not destined to look shiny?

Or is it worth doing the work anyway.

Cheers in advance for your experience.

Darren

It gets the regular polish then wax. But I'm not sure if the extra work with the claybar and a good going over with the G3 and the machine would be the way to go.

I gave it a quick blast when I got the car, but hours of work for little reward dont seem to float my boat.

Unless once done I will be proved wrong. Hence the question LOL

You need a decent torch (Sungun, Brinkman, powerful LED, natural bright sun even) or a halogen light to examine the finish, inspect the clearcoat for swirls and scratches and work to remove these and the contaminants bonded to the car, once you have these at an acceptable level and polished up nicely the wax is just a slight enhancement on this.

Grey / silver / white can look amazing when done properly - it's all in the initial prep, do it properly once, wash carefully so you don't add defects and then just keep topping up with a quality wax.

Help any metallic finish to "pop" and get the clear as smooth as you can to reflect like a mirror, worth the effort IMO even if it only makes a slight difference in the eyes of 99% of viewers.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=14505&

MY GOD I've just had a brain wave!!!

Thought :ecstatic:

The silver looks very bloody nice, your brain is just telling you its not good enough.

Explination :cool:

When you look at any car pre detail work it looks kind of milky.

Silver / white cars look milky by the very nature of their colour.

Therefore your brain is telling you its not as much of a difference.

In actual fact looking at that link they look excellent.

Oh bugger.

Looks like I've got a lot of work this next week while I'm off.

Ok question guys how do you get rid of the swirls and what tape do you use to split the body work up?

respray and duct tape lol.......................but seriously auto glym extra gloss and meguiars scratch x are good for removing swirls by hand and as for the tape, I don't know although I could see it being something like electrical tape.

Ok question guys how do you get rid of the swirls and what tape do you use to split the body work up?

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/meguiars-g220-complete-menzerna-kit/prod_414.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/3m-3434-masking-tape/prod_79.html

If things are a bit more drastic you can wet sand first but I would get a scrap panel to play with before you attack the real thing ;)

I did a friends new Corsa at work by hand after he got some marks on his bonnet before his wife noticed the scratches ;) Guess what he was doing before work that day the dirty boy!!!

Took bloody ages and didnt come up that well. The marks were not that bad either.

If you have the cash, get a good quality body shop machine. They are worth their weight in gold!!!

I mopped my silver Supra. As michael says it wont show like a black or blue (which is why people post pics of those colours ;))

But if you put it side by side with another silver Supra you could tell the difference, especially at just before dusk when the sun is low in the sky it has a really nice wet look.

If you have the cash, get a good quality body shop machine. They are worth their weight in gold!!!

But please practice on something other than your pride and joy first and be careful with the heat generated on the plastics, even when I do eventually get a rotary I'll still use my Porter Cable on the bumpers, spoiler etc

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/meguiars-g220-complete-menzerna-kit/prod_414.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/3m-3434-masking-tape/prod_79.html

If things are a bit more drastic you can wet sand first but I would get a scrap panel to play with before you attack the real thing ;)

not something i would recommend unless you have a ptg, (paint thickness guage), you really dont want to be removing your clearcoat

Does any one know why you use tape to split up the bodywork, surely you can remember which bits have been done. Also does the tape not mark and also you can't work on the bits the tape covers would you?:blink:

Does any one know why you use tape to split up the bodywork, surely you can remember which bits have been done. Also does the tape not mark and also you can't work on the bits the tape covers would you?:blink:

I use it to mask out smaller area's when i'm polishing as I find it easier to remove swirls in a set piece this way and use it to protect trim of course when polishing.

Ok I did the front wings and the bonnet to see what it would be like.

I wont be nocking myself out to do the rest of the car just yet.

As you can see there was very little difference between the front wing that I spent the time on the the door that I just polished and waxed.

I will likely do the rest of the car, but just a pannel at a time before a wash I think.

Darn those silver cars!!