The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where can i get this sealant?

Scott

I'm getting ready to do a refurb of my lights and i'm having trouble finding the correct sealant. I have an idea of the stuff i want in my head but i can't think of what to call it. I would describe it more as a gum sealant than a silicone one. I want to be able to take the headlights apart again if i wish and i think silicone will be permanant.

Any ideas? The stuff i am thinking of looks like this..

http://k96106.ld.infoseek.co.jp/pic/tailkokan/tkokan03.jpg

Thanks

Scott =op

Not got the ones i'm doing apart yet but i had a trial run on a "spare" set. I just used a hairdryer but when it comes to doing mine i will be taking them into work and sticking them in the oven.

80-100 degree's is pleanty :D

Scott =op

Im just going to use gutter sealant from poundland ;), its black and should stay quite maluable if you wanted to remove it again. Or atleast it wont be any harder than getting them apart in the 1st place.

Scotster, i dont suppose your not useing the inserts on your 'spair headlight'...i kinda messed mine up and is going to be a pig to get back to how they were when i started ;)

Oh the gutter stuff sounds exactly like what i was after. I was trying to find butyl sealant and it turns out thats what gutter sealant is :D

It stays kinda soft but i don't know if it will melt again. Only 1 way to find out.

Scott =op

I'm getting ready to do a refurb of my lights and i'm having trouble finding the correct sealant. I have an idea of the stuff i want in my head but i can't think of what to call it. I would describe it more as a gum sealant than a silicone one. I want to be able to take the headlights apart again if i wish and i think silicone will be permanant.

Any ideas? The stuff i am thinking of looks like this..

http://k96106.ld.infoseek.co.jp/pic/tailkokan/tkokan03.jpg

Thanks

Scott =op

Stuff with the paper backing looks like Duct tape used to seal ducting, sticks like SH1t to a blanket but doesn't get everywhere and can be pulled apart if warm, try heating/aircon engineers for some.

Stuff with the paper backing looks like Duct tape used to seal ducting, sticks like SH1t to a blanket but doesn't get everywhere and can be pulled apart if warm, try heating/aircon engineers for some.

Ooo my Uncle is an aircon engineer. Cheers for the heads up :D

Scott =op

i "facelifted" mine with matt black (halfords) and used a tube of black silicone sealer (the big size you need a gun for), never had any bother, i think its not critical what you use the key is not to be shy and trowel it on, engine pic in my garage shows the lights pretty well

To get them apart if you are facelifting them any way try sticking them in a tub of the hottest water you can get in there. You won't risk the old melting mistake and they will dry easily when apart. You can easily re-dip them as well if they cool down before you get them totally opened. Also liquid transfers heat a lot quicker than gas ie air does. Just a tip I read elsewhere.