The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AEM water injection install

TrickTT

I've finally got round to taking a couple of pics of my AEM water injection kit. Its a nice alternative to the aquamist stuff, and cheaper as well (thanks Dusty :D). It can run up to 50% methanol mix with water (I'm currently running 25%). I'm very happy with the kit, there is a definate reduction in EGT on boost.

This is what you get in the box:

The 1 gallon tank includes a low fluid sensor. I mounted mine to the back of my sub enclosure in the boot. You can just see the filler cap in this pic.

I ran the water line down the n/s under the carpet and through a grommet into the inner wing, and then to the pump in the engine bay. The pump is mounted in place of the charcoal cannister. I made a mounting bracket out of 3mm aluminium that bolts to the charcoal cannister mounting points.

You can just see the pressure sensitive variable controller mounted on the back of the pump bracket (its normally covered with an aluminium cover plate). I've set it up to start the pump running at 0.5 bar and to reach full flow at 1.1 bar. I've also added a small additional fuse box at the bottom right of the pic. Its got the fuse for the water injection, as well as ones for my HIDs, remote start and smart windows - i got fed up of having loads of inline fuses cable-tied round the engine bay.

I welded a piece of aluminium to the Greddy hard pipe and drilled and tapped it for the injector nozzle. The kit includes 3 different nozzle sizes: the small one is too small for a supra, i'm using the medium one, and the large would be suitable for single turbos. The water hose is clipped into brackets mounted on the inner wing.

I modified the right hand warning cluster for the status LED. On is pump running, and it flashes for fault codes.

I added a master switch mounted in the upper glove box; this does not come with the kit.

Finally the completed engine bay:D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice, I have one here waiting to go on.

one thing though, when I bought mine and was asking questions I was told it was best to mount the jet JUST after the intercooler, not as close as I could to the throttle body as I first thought.

Why am I being told two different things? Or doesn't it matter?

Very nice;)

How do you rate this kit? Cant make up my mind between the Devils own kit or this one..

I've no experience of any other kits, but i'm quite impressed with the AEM one, easy to install and set up.

Very nice, I have one here waiting to go on.

one thing though, when I bought mine and was asking questions I was told it was best to mount the jet JUST after the intercooler, not as close as I could to the throttle body as I first thought.

Why am I being told two different things? Or doesn't it matter?

I have also heard that next to the intercooler is better, but the AEM and aquamist kits both say to mount the injector at the same level, or higher than the water tank - presumably to prevent syphoning.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done matey, lovely clean install :thumbs:

From my understanding jet location determines the affect of the water/meth. Close to the throttle will have a bigger in cylinder cooling affect, further away the water/meth will have time to cool the charge air more efficiently.

You can also mount pre turbo which effectively alters the compressor map.

Some good info on various theories tried and tested can be found here :-

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/phpBB2/

I was under the thought that these shurflo pumps needed to be mounted near the water source as they dont have great 'suction' ability???

They dont have to suck if you get the levels of the tank, pump and injector correct its pretty much gravity fed.

what dash kit is it you got mate as that looks well sweet

Bought it from ebay not long after i got the car. Its called titanium burl wood. The seller i got it from is no longer registered, but i think there's others that do it.

wow lovely install that how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking thinking of this as a mod in a few months

Got it from Dusty at MVP, cost was about $400 + shipping

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...