The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water under passenger seat

bodilx6

After removing the seat to place some wires, I found a bit of water/moisture under the carpet directly under the passenger seat. I cant seem to find out how it got there. There is no rust or anything, so it doesnt look like its been there for long but I havent spilled anything, so it must have entered from under the car during a wash or rain.

How does it get in there? Any experiences?

From memory there are holes in the floor with rubber stoppers blocking them off, check to see if one of these has come out.

Another possibility is that rain water is getting past the horizontal seal for the passenger window and leaking down into the door and onto the carpet.

Its a hardtop. The only wet spot was directly on the floor with no moist (that I could find) on the side wall up towards the door or anything that points towards a wet door card.

No moist on windows. Only when it rains a lot and/or if I havent showered properly after a work-out ;-)

Heater working fine, how would that leak down to the floor?

I could see a single rubber stopper somewhere under the car but no apparent holes which could translate to missing stoppers. A bit hard to see though, since I've had it sprayed with some nasty anti rust material.

No water/moist in the boot'

How can the aircon form moist water inside the car? To my knowledge the compressor is placed up against the engine. Is there any other parts of it that can generate moist/water?

I will check all the things mentioned here again to be sure though. Thanks so far.

I replaced my carpet a couple of weeks ago and found one of the rubber bungs had popped off at some point. No idea when, though I never drive it in the wet so it could have happened a fair while ago - def. worth checking :)

Edit to say, mine goes up on a car lift fairly regularly and its not been noticed

It's not too difficult to remove the carpet so do that and see if anything is missing. Might also be worth driving it around a bit it it out and you'll find out where it's coming from.

Hopefully it's not the matrix, but more than likely a loose bung or leak in the dorr card plastic.

kewl, thanks.

But what is it with that maitrix. Where is it at and why should a broken heater matrix result in water under the passenger seat?

You don't want to know about replacing the heater matrix (the bit that transfers heat from the cooling system to the interior). If it's leaking the coolant will end up in the passenger footwell

It's a dashboard out job - the most complex and time consuming job you can do on a supra.

If it's leaking from the heater matrix the water wlll taste of antifreeze (sweet taste). If it's fresh water it may well be coming from the condensation drain pipe that goes, or is supposed to go, out of the bottom of the heater box and through the floor where the floor meets the bulkhead. Have a butchers mate, it's only a push-on rubber pipe and may have got dislodged or split somehow.